• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

foster bunny so amorous that he is not eating?!

Candiflare

Mama Doe
My new foster bun is extremely, extremely horny... you can't go near him without getting sprayed, circled, humped, licked etc etc... this is all fine as I know what the solution will be (snip snip!) but it's like he's SO distracted by horniness that he's not eating very much (maybe half a handful of pellets a day, not really interested in the brocolli or spring greens, nor the apple!) He's doing teeny, tiny poops (not cecotropes, as they're dry) but LOTS of them, EVERYWHERE.

Do you think this is just territorial/horny rabbit?

My new foster bun is extremely, extremely horny... you can't go near him without getting sprayed, circled, humped, licked etc etc... this is all fine as I know what the solution will be (snip snip!) but it's like he's SO distracted by horniness that he's not eating very much (maybe half a handful of pellets a day, not really interested in the brocolli or spring greens, nor the apple!) He's doing teeny, tiny poops (not cecotropes, as they're dry) but LOTS of them, EVERYWHERE.

Do you think this is just territorial/horny rabbit?

I have known entire Bucks go into stasis as a result of 'hormonal frustration' :cry:

Is it possible for him to be neutered this week ?

Yes, I've seen similar things with mine before neutering too.

Maybe offer him a water bowl laced with something yummy so that he hopefully drinks more.

If he is eating pellets then that's ok, he doesn't need the fresh particularly, what he really needs is hay. Is he a hay eater? How much does his diet differ with you than before he came, do you know?

He had carrots and guinea pig food :( before he came. He lived with 5 piggies! He does eat hay, but only a few wisps a day. I give him SS pellets which he likes, but he'll only eat about 8 of them and he's quite thin (he feels very boney.)

I've booked him in for his op on Wednesday, which should be in time, and I'll try hand feeding him tonight with pellets and hay. Thanks for your help!

He will need plain water, but you can also give him a second bowl with maybe something like apple juice, cranberry juice, chamomile tea, mint tea, to see if he drinks more of it when it is tastier (you only need a small bit of the juices though because they are sugary).

I'm a bit more worried about this now.. he hasn't eaten anything for 24 hours. His poos are the size of pin heads. I haven't experienced this before (but read about it) and I just want to make sure it's not some other problem that I'm not seeing... he's dropping wee everywhere... EVERYWHERE, tiny little puddles (like his poos,) he's chasing and circling me aggressively, humping me constantly, his penis is out ALL the time, buzzing, throwing himself at the door if I close it on him...

The earliest neuter appointment I can get is Wednesday, and doubtless he will be humping the vet's arm as she's inserting the needle. Actually scratch that, he'll be humping the needle..:lol:

Is this common?!

I don't think the vet will neuter if he hasn't eaten because there is an increased risk he could go in stasis (if he isn't already) and not recover properly.

If he hasn't eaten in 24hrs he needs to see the vet now. They can give fluids, gut mobility drugs, probiotics etc. If he's eaten nothing you'll probably also need to syringe feed.

How long have you had him? Did you switch the diet gradually? Even if his previous diet was bad, switching him needs to be done slowly. If he's not used to eating hay you might need to feed him more dry food and make the switch to a good diet slowly.

I got him two days ago. His previous owner told me that he had a handful of hay a day and liked it.. so I thought he'd be fine with unlimited hay. The pellets are different from what he had before, and he does eat them, but just not enough...

I have some metoclopramide - shall I give it to him? I might call the vet and then start syringe feeding him.

If he was normally eating hay then feeding him hay and a bit of SS should be fine. It does sound like not eating is out of character so ringing the vet is a good idea :)

I'm tempted to suggest you let the vet look after the little bundle of hormones 'til Wednesday then.....!
I would deffo call the vet if he's still not eating properly, but then I wonder if a cuddly toy may help relieve his frustration? :oops:

doc was the same i gave him a seal cuddly toy he mounted with in its life and plucked the fur out in frustration, he sprayed everywhere, best thing is to leave him alone so you dont "distract him"

he indoors ? if he is you will be able to hear if hes using the water bottle put a bowl in too

perhaps feeding half a teaspoon of porriage mixed with water might boost his appitite to eat, after that leave him alone your obviously allureing :lol: if hes within eye sight put a cover over the cage so he cant see you

i hate to think what those poor guinea went through i assume thats why they got rid :roll:

Back