• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Many Rabbits :(

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
The phone calls to hand in animals have rocketed in the last week..the cold weather and the fact Christmas is coming seems to signal " get Rid" to a lot of owners :cry:

Today I've had five calls
Two wanting to hand in 3 rabbits
One wanting to hand in a pair
One with a single bun
and one with 2 rabbits and a guinea pig.

all desperate to get rid of these pets with brilliant excuses as to why:roll:

and all but one very rude when told we cannot take them straight away.

Please..if you are considering a new bunny..or guinea pig..do see if you are able to take one on before the rescues stop homing at Christmas week..remember you will be helping two animals..the one you home and the one we can take in in it's space

I hate to think of what happens to the ones we cannot fit in:cry:

I can't stand to think about this, it's just too horrible. How can we help you take more in? Do you need a cash donation?

I can't stand to think about this, it's just too horrible. How can we help you take more in? Do you need a cash donation?

Each rescue knows exactly how many rabbits they can handle at any one time, this can be due to money or space, but especially time. Just like we know we can only take on a certain number of rabbits, or other pets at any one time.

Maybe you could help by volunteering your time on a regular basis, to your local rescue or by sponsoring a rabbit, or cash donations. Each rescue is different in their circumstances, so you are often better getting in direct contact with them, to see which way you can help them. For example Kirkby in Birmingham need people to run rabbits to the vets for neuterings, but Jill might need something else to help out.

You could also donate prizes (unwanted christmas presents) to those running fundraisers, or run a fundraiser yourself.

You can also help out with the make mine a chocolate campaign, and help promote that rabbits are not the ideal childs pet.

Just read this. What an upsetting start to the day.

HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO HEARTLESS?????

So sad.:cry:

All of you involved in rescues are amazing.

It is horrendous that people treat pets like disposable goods. I have nothing but respect and admiration for everyone involved in running rescues. :)

it does seem that more and more animals are been chosen to be dumped at certain times of the year.Is it a mix of the baby as got to big now its passed easter and summer months and we dont want to go out in the cold to feed them but we will go out in the cold to get drunk :{
Or is a lot to do with finances as we all struggle at times me included but if u take an animal on surely u account for this apart from genuine cases of finacial circumstance change there is steps to take before getting a pet.First one been makesure u have time money and facts first :{{{

also agree now i have got off soap box how do rescues manage emotionally hats off to you all as i couldnt do it x :)

i turned away 3 buns and a piggy last week and late last night i had an e mail about a housebun :(:(.....oh yes ...and i turned away a ferret :?

we havent taken off our waiting list for months and re homing is slowing down now the winter is here :? :(

It is horrendous that people treat pets like disposable goods. I have nothing but respect and admiration for everyone involved in running rescues. :)

Too true, but I expect they worship their material goods such as their car or mobile phone :evil:

I can't ever understand what kind of a person could give their pets into a rescue, to never see them again. I expect they never give them another thought and then, a short while later, go out and buy another little baby, cos the kids wanted one :(

it does seem that more and more animals are been chosen to be dumped at certain times of the year.Is it a mix of the baby as got to big now its passed easter and summer months and we dont want to go out in the cold to feed them but we will go out in the cold to get drunk :{
Or is a lot to do with finances as we all struggle at times me included but if u take an animal on surely u account for this apart from genuine cases of finacial circumstance change there is steps to take before getting a pet.First one been makesure u have time money and facts first :{{{

:thumb:
Absolutely agree.

I agree with you, after all, I didnt get rid of my son when he grew up, he is 6'4 and turned into a hells angel and he still costs me a fortune at the age of 24. No more would I get rid of my lovely buns.

The phone calls to hand in animals have rocketed in the last week..the cold weather and the fact Christmas is coming seems to signal " get Rid" to a lot of owners :cry:

I agree but at least people are ringing you,round by us it seems to be the done thing just to let the animals "escape". Ollie came to me as a stray and just last week someone rang me to see if I could take another little bun she found as a stray on a piece of grass infront of her house-she had found its owner but the owner let it go again,the novelty had worn off!:evil: Unfortunately I couldnt help on this occassion but gave her Fat Fluffs number.

Candiflare..donations to help with vewts bills are always appreciated and if you'd like to make onw to the Honeybunnies then please pm me for details

This won't help us to take in more than our limit..although ti will help us to get the ones here vacs and neutered a bit quicker whoch means they can go up for rehoming..hopefully leading to a space
All rescues are in the same boat..very sad:(
I'm off to pick up one urgent bunny fro out waiting list this morning..anf another housebunny will be coming in tomorrow...but aht leaves about 14 on the incoming list with me talling people that ring to ring back in a week or two as no point adding others on at present:cry:

:(:(:( How many bunnies do you rescues have right now? I can't believe that people can get rid of their bunnies....let alone be rude when you say you are full....!!!

If you don't want to go outside in the winter, then simple....have a house bunny!:D:D:D If you don't want a bunny then don't GET a bunny....no matter how much your little brat screams and screams..!!!!

I was told twice yesterday...and it happens quite often when you can't fit in with the owners plans... " you have to take the rabbits..you're supposed to be a F***ing rescue "

or we get " Well what am I supposed to do?..we have people coming for Christmas and the animals will be in the way! " Which I find worse to be honest:evil:
When I say all the Honeybunnies are volunteers and we too will have a Christmas to try to enjoy..and the animal is their responsibility but we will try to help as soon as we can...they just get abusive..not all, but a large percentage

:(:(:( How many bunnies do you rescues have right now? I can't believe that people can get rid of their bunnies....let alone be rude when you say you are full....!!!

If you don't want to go outside in the winter, then simple....have a house bunny!:D:D:D If you don't want a bunny then don't GET a bunny....no matter how much your little brat screams and screams..!!!!

Too many, you don't want to know. As for little brats I took a call the other wek from someone wanting to rehome their rabbits as they bought it for their 5 years old birthday and it's now being fed because he is scared of it.

I asked if "it" was female, the reply was yes so I said get her spayed as there was no space and he was unlikely to find a space anytime soon. He didn't want to do that so in the nicest possible way I basically told him he was an idiot - i.e. that's abosolutely normal behaviour, did you not read that before you bought her? Why can't people think and take a bit of responsibility.

Felt really sorry for the bunny but not really reason enough to jump in front of the other tens of buns in need on the list. I did ensure I gave him enough info to keep the bun healthy in the meantime but still made me angry.

I hate that pop to the shop and come back with a pet mentality. We did 6 months of thinking, discussing and research before we got Biscuit, and there were so many things that still surprised us, especially as we were told by a few people that she didn't need spaying (ridiculous!).

Lord knows what these people do when they 'grab' a bunny with no clue. They'll be selling them in boxes next :roll:

It's just irresponsible and heartless. How can you desert a life that depends on you, not only for food, water and housing, but for love and it's chance of happiness. Just awful.

I am so happy that I (hopefully) get my new little boy soon from Bobtails, after he was left in a park and mauled by another animal. :censored:

Back