PDA

View Full Version : Ferrets - ferret-proofing shed, hutch and runs

Furries
29-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I found a ferret in the garden last month; it came and sat on my feet whilst I was cleaning the guinea-pigs out. Nearly gave me heart failure. I managed to shut it in the shed.

I phoned the RSPCA but they weren't open, so I phoned my local vet and she told me how to catch it and calm it. They then contacted the RSPCA who fetched it the same day. However, the vets did tell me that lots of people nearby keep ferrets, including the road which the garden backs on to.

Can anybody advise me on ferret-proofing my rabbits' shed, the guinea-pig hutch and both their runs?

Thanks.

yvette
29-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I keep ferrets....(locked up securely from my buns).
But if your neighbours have ferts and theyre not secure then all I can suggest is that you have no holes at all in the base of your shed...ferrets dig and can wriggle through small holes,indeed,but they also travel far and wide so hopefully will bypass your shed.

TINKS30ish
29-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I used to work in ferret rescue and i only came accross one ferret that would "go through" wood, ie: chew if you could call it that????:? Just make sure you have no gaps the same as you would to stop mice and rats. :wave:

yvette
30-11-2009, 08:02 AM
I used to work in ferret rescue and i only came accross one ferret that would "go through" wood, ie: chew if you could call it that????:? Just make sure you have no gaps the same as you would to stop mice and rats. :wave:

Ferrets dont gnaw...they arent related to rodents.....but it has been known for them to bite and scratch.
The ferret you mentioned mustve been a determined little chap!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

Furries
30-11-2009, 09:18 AM

There are long gaps at the bottom, top and sides when I close the shed doors (it used to be a log shed and I put a tarpaulin over the front to stop it raining through). However, I hadn't worried too much about these, as I couldn't fit my ring finger down them and thought they would help provide ventilation. How big a gap can a ferret or rat get through? I've been told by a local rescue that a weasel can fit through a gap the size of a wedding ring. :(