• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog run and kennel...tips

lildebs

Mama Doe
Hiya
My hubby said he'll make me a dog kennel with run 10x4ft...still contemplating the height, just wondered if anybun had any tips with the make, inparticular to the 'shed' area, I'd like 'levels' but not sure how yet, the wood will come cheaper via a friend;)...my hubby use to do roof work etc so that's that bit....anyone want to add tips on anything it'll be a good help, plenty of time to plan as it will start around March....:D

Two of mine have a dog kennel which I had made to order. I'd strongly suggest you have it built to a height where you can easily stand up inside - it makes it far easier to clean out plus you can sit inside in the winter and not have to worry about banging your head if you stand up too quickly :lol::lol: I'm only 5'2" so I had it built to 5'5" high.

I've found the bunnies hardly use the 'inside' area, even in the middle of winter, so I'd keep that small and make best use of the run area. Much depends on whether you plan to lock them in the shed at night but mine have 24/7 access to the whole shed and run. I find that 3ft wide for the 'shed' end is more than adequate.

Good luck with it and post pictures when it's done!

Two of mine have a dog kennel which I had made to order. I'd strongly suggest you have it built to a height where you can easily stand up inside - it makes it far easier to clean out plus you can sit inside in the winter and not have to worry about banging your head if you stand up too quickly :lol::lol: I'm only 5'2" so I had it built to 5'5" high.

I've found the bunnies hardly use the 'inside' area, even in the middle of winter, so I'd keep that small and make best use of the run area. Much depends on whether you plan to lock them in the shed at night but mine have 24/7 access to the whole shed and run. I find that 3ft wide for the 'shed' end is more than adequate.

Good luck with it and post pictures when it's done!

Thanks for that I was thinking of same height, I'm only a teeny 5ft:roll: ...I'd like them to have access to the run 24hrs as Oscar just loves playing, so I will make the shed area smaller, do you have levels in your shed area? do you have a cover over the run area when it's raining? I can't think what the clear plastic stuff is called that's used in the hutch huggers, because I'll get hubby to do a 'roller blind style'.

Back