• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cut up???

TINKS30ish

Warren Scout
Why is it some people cut things up for their rabbits? I can understan if you you are only giving them half or something. But why slice up a carrot and such things? Surly it is better for their teeth to eat it whole and no one cuts them up in the wild!!!!!:?

I dont know, but as far as a carrot, due to the high sugar content I never give them a whole carrot. unless its one of those baby carrots

i cut up celery because i was told that if its left whole they can choke on the stringy thread bits??

I chop up carrot and such like and scatter it so they can forage in the hay for it to make feeding time last longer and be more interesting. It also stops one rabbit eating the lot. They only get about 1 inch per day per rabbit- if I fed it whole one greedy bunny would get the carrot and the rest wouldn't.
The teeth get very little wear from eating carrot anyway. Grass and hay are much better for dental wear :)

Im a chopper too!

I also like their food to "look nice" ...............OK I know Im sad! :lol::lol::lol:

Fenugreek leaves and mint sprigs

I just picked up some Fenugreek leaves but before I give double trouble some can they eat them??? assuming they can as they eat the fenugreek crunchies?? also mint sprigs...does anyone give the whole thing or do you pick off the leaves and throw the stem...I normaly do the latter but just wondered?????? thanks:D

I agree it prevents fights. If i put 2 whole cabbage leaves in with Ronnie and Lola, Lola finishes her when Ronnie is only half way through, so it causes a fight :?

I also feed 4/5 different veg daily and scatter it to make feeding more fun for them :) You do need to chop certain things, like celery as i know a bunny on here died from getting the stringy bit trapped round them inside.

xxx

I always chop all of mine up especially as they all get a bit of everything, i don't see the problem personally, its hay that wears the teeth down.

I chop them up as they have to stay by the food bowl and tolerate eachother otherwise they'd grab a whole piece, and run off with it.

I also like their food to "look nice" ...............OK I know Im sad! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I do that too! It has to be symetrical in the bowl :shock: However, for Pea and Pod, who have a tendancy to scrap over food, I chop and scatter theirs so there are no arguments. It also makes them hunt for it a bit so that they exercise whilst they're feeding.

I cut things up to scatter and stimulate them. Sometimes I feed it whole though.

I found with a greedy eater that having it in one piece didn't work, but many small pieces (like as small as I could cut it) worked brilliantly to ensure everyone got their fair share.

i never thought about it o_O

I chop celery up coz of the stringy bits thing and i tend to chop up tomato and whatnot lol

I do usually place them all around the room/cage so he has to look for them instead of being fat and lazy and stuffing his face with veg lol.

I just picked up some Fenugreek leaves but before I give double trouble some can they eat them??? assuming they can as they eat the fenugreek crunchies?? also mint sprigs...does anyone give the whole thing or do you pick off the leaves and throw the stem...I normaly do the latter but just wondered?????? thanks:D

:shock::shock::shock: sorry I must have posted this here instead of opening another thread..:lol::lol: blonde moment:oops:

Interesting question! I've always chopped up Deej's food so that he takes a (momentary) break between mouthfuls! I guess I worried about choking, not that it's ever been a problem I've encountered.

Back