• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning Rabbits Bottles.

Salty246

New Kit
I have Four rabbits.
And they all have medium sized water bottles.
They recently have started going green.I dont want to buy new ones as they are about £3 each.

I have tryed ways of getting the green slimy stuff out but it isnt working.I purchased a bottle cleaner from pets at home but it dosent work.!

Any ideas of what caused this green stuff to come in my bottles?
And any ideas how to get rid of it?? :D

Pour some dry rice into the bottle, put about half an inch of water or so in it and shake it :) It's usually related to sunlight, causing tiny plant/algae growth on the inside of the bottle where it gets warm.

Dried rice and a little water, shake the bottle with that in and it should help remove the grimey bits.

I use a bottle brush too. You need a wide-ish one though so it will reach the sides of the bottle to get all the green off.

Cover the bottle to exclude sunlight and they stay green free for ever :D I have a bottle snug around mine even in summer.

i use a bowl because its easier to keep clean and isn't as noisy lol.

My bun prefers a bowl so maybe try that? obv if you use straw or wood chippings as a base then that probably wont be practical lol.

I have covers on mine too. I got a big bottle brush from Wilkinsons in their Home Brewing section that helps cleaning those bottles.

We use Milton sterilising fluid once a week and havent had a problem with the green stuff. Good luck.

Back