• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blossom has a sore red eye U/D She has conjunctivitis!

Danielle84

Mama Doe
Myxomatosis?

Timmy has been grooming her non stop and he is quite nibbly when he does it, and it is usually near this eye.

But i know that a symptom of Myxi is sore red eyes.

Anyone got any advice or should we just head straight to the vets?

Last edited:
There are many things it could be, overgrooming, conjunctivitis, etc, so we can't really say. If you are concerned then best get her checked out.

Could be a few things as Sky O said I had a similar panic with Bella when she got a seed in her eye. Its always worth getting it checked

Got an appointment this morning and dashed to the vets.

Blossom has conjunctivitis (?spelling) and we have some eye gel.

We are supposed to try and stop Timmy from grooming her eye..which is going to be very difficult! I just keep bribing him with little treats to keep him occupied!

Her eyes look ever so sore though...how long does the infection usually last? She seems so tired and down at the moment!

That's great :D well, not great, but far better than myxo (hope you know what I mean :lol:)

When I had an over grooming problem I had no choice but to separate my two, but kept the bond through supervised play, and swapping cages and cage contents (plus they were super easy with each other anyway). If you can't stop him grooming it, then you may need to separate them temporarily and rebond.

That's great :D well, not great, but far better than myxo (hope you know what I mean :lol:)

When I had an over grooming problem I had no choice but to separate my two, but kept the bond through supervised play, and swapping cages and cage contents (plus they were super easy with each other anyway). If you can't stop him grooming it, then you may need to separate them temporarily and rebond.

Oh no...i really hope we don't have to separate them! We have had Bloss for a couple of months and they were only bonded one week ago (by a very kind super bonder Abi!) and she said they were the most difficult she has ever experienced! Wouldn';t want to go through that again.

I guess if it's for the best then we would, but we'll see how she goes!

Poor Timmy is just trying to be friendly but doesn't know he's making things worse :(

Oh dear, definitely as a very last resort.

Maybe when they get used to each other this may settle down. I would think lots of stimulation is important. For a different area of the body I would suggest finding a way to cover it, but I'm not sure you can do that with the eye, or that it's sensible with conjunctivitis.

Oh dear, definitely as a very last resort.

Maybe when they get used to each other this may settle down. I would think lots of stimulation is important. For a different area of the body I would suggest finding a way to cover it, but I'm not sure you can do that with the eye, or that it's sensible with conjunctivitis.

Yeah hopefully! He is staying away from her at the moment, but they are facing eachother. I'll be in all day tomorrow so can keep offering him treats when he goes to groom her eyes! He just :love: her!

I'm not sure treating him when he goes to do something you don't want him to do is ideal, I would just try turning him away from her and encouraging him on his way, and then treat when he is no where near. Also try hiding food so they have to find it, etc. Sounds like you won't be going far tomorrow :lol:

I'm not sure treating him when he goes to do something you don't want him to do is ideal, I would just try turning him away from her and encouraging him on his way, and then treat when he is no where near. Also try hiding food so they have to find it, etc. Sounds like you won't be going far tomorrow :lol:

I know what you mean, but don't want him to think that grooming her is being naughty. I know he shouldn't be doing it at the moment, but would want him to groom once the infection has passed. They are both relaxing now, no grooming going on!

I'm kind of glad to be stuck in tomorrow...the rain is awful and i have tonnes of work to do :roll: might have to sit next to the buns to do it though :lol:

Back