• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very long recovery from GA?? anyone else experienced this?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Damson had to have a scan and then an x-ray on Thursday morning/afternoon to try and find out why he keeps having bouts of stasis.

We did not find the cause in the end - BUT what I am now concerned about is that he seems to be having real problems recovering from the GA which he had for the x-ray.

He had the GA Thursday about 3pm. He was still very very woozy a good 18 hours later, and now its 36 hours later he is STILL 'not quite with it'.

He has had two lots of subcuts and we are keeping him under a heat lamp, and we are giving syringe feeds.

He is pooing (very small poos) and peeing ( a bit) but keeps sort of going into a trance.

Considering it was just a quick GA for an x-ray this seems a REALLY long time for recovery.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

PS he was NOT in stasis at time of scan/x-ray, we waited till he was really really well, he is a good weight, although 8.5yrs old he is very healthy generally apart from the stasis problem.

Yes, i had this with Dusk after his first dental. He took a good three days to gather himself and wake up. In the end I put him in the run outside and it worked a treat. I've not seen a bunny in a mess like he was before, not after a simple dental. He was even worse than my spays.

I spoke to my vet about it after and he said that the metabolism can have an impact on it because it is related to how fast the body processes the anaesthetic (at least, i think that's what he said), and he said that a standard level does not apply for all buns, some need more, some need less anaesthetic. The next time Dusk went under he had significantly less, and he still took a day and a half to come back to himself. If he has to have it again, he will have even less.

I wonder if Damson is struggling because of her gut problems?

Thank you for this re-assurance - as you can imagine we are very concerned.

Interesting what you say about being outside for a run . . .
My OH put Damson outside earlier for half an hour and apparently he looked much much better - but we have had to take him in again as its really cold and he is having trouble maintaining temperature even inside. (The GA is affecting this and also his tum was shaved for the scan - which I did not realise would happen and is going to cause more problems as he is an outside bun who HATES I mean HATES cages and inside).

Hopefully like yours he will slowly get better.

Older Rabbits can take much longer to recover from a GA.
Did he have bloods taken before the GA to check his Kidney/Liver function ?

Older Rabbits can take much longer to recover from a GA.
Did he have bloods taken before the GA to check his Kidney/Liver function ?

No - it should just have literally been just a whiff of GA- enough to get him to lay down.

Wish i had waited till the other vet was on who does x-rays without GA by trancing them - but we were all set up with him for the scan as we all suspected a growth of some kind, and it came out of the blue that he was going to have an x-ray as well as they found nothing on the scan but suspected kidney stones then . . so we just went ahead there and then..

Thank you for this re-assurance - as you can imagine we are very concerned.

Interesting what you say about being outside for a run . . .
My OH put Damson outside earlier for half an hour and apparently he looked much much better - but we have had to take him in again as its really cold and he is having trouble maintaining temperature even inside. (The GA is affecting this and also his tum was shaved for the scan - which I did not realise would happen and is going to cause more problems as he is an outside bun who HATES I mean HATES cages and inside).

Hopefully like yours he will slowly get better.

I'm wondering if the level of stress is playing a part? I think Dusk bounced back so well once he had been outside because he was back where he felt safe. I definitely hear how difficult it is to do that at this time of year. if he normally has a bondfriend, are they still together?

I'm wondering if the level of stress is playing a part? I think Dusk bounced back so well once he had been outside because he was back where he felt safe. I definitely hear how difficult it is to do that at this time of year. if he normally has a bondfriend, are they still together?

No we have had to separate because she will simply pig all his food, poo everywhere and swamp him. If the separation lasts much longer we will rig up something whereby he is in a cage and she is running free in the same room. This is a bit tricky though (forgive us - we have 8 indoors at present - he makes 9 and we are quite simply running out of rooms)

At present we are having to monitor his every poo and every mouthful of food - he really is VERY woozy still so cannot really put him back outside or even with his friend. But (to be honest) he is a very independent bun and her absence will not be stressing him (I know him very very well)

The only experience I have was with a spay, but thats a big op compared to Damson. My foster bun Rosie took about 4 days to recover fully and it was only when she was really better I could see how 'not quite right' she'd been.

Hope Damson's back to his normal self very soon :)

Back