• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Harnesses!

ScutterBug

Young Bun
What does everyone think of them?

As ours will have to be an indoor bun until the spring, the parents are adament that it has to be on a harness while out of its hutch :roll:

Soooo

Are some better than others or is it just pretty much all the same? And what kind of sizes do they come up in?
x

You'll get very mixed views on this thread. My advice is to do a search and find some other threads, there are tons!

You can get harness almost everywhere, the best type is probably a H harness. The younger you get a rabbit used to it the better. Oh and you have to be very carefull with them, you must watch them at ALL times or they could end up tangled. It must be fitted well too, so the rabbit can breathe but not get it's paws through the neck bit.

I personally think it depends on the rabbit and the type of harness.

My foster Baby absolutely loves it and he is happiest on a harness, and we go running around the garden together and he binkies and bunny500s the lot. It's the best way for him to get a proper full on run because our garden is not secure.

Most of mine won't tolerate it though, and I won't ever force them to.

I tried a harness when I first started letting my buns have free run of the garden but I found them very restrictive. They wanted to have a good fast run around I had to keep up with them and if I didn't they ended up back flipping or getting tangled up. I soon gave it up as a bad idea and took it off to see what they did with their own freedom. We soon found out the areas of the garden which needed blocking and we developed our ways of getting them to jump back in their own hutches at the end of playtime. I personally don't rate harnesses at all for bunnies. They are not like dogs, they won't be guided by them and it really doesn't help you keep them away from where you don't want them go. I suppose it really depends what you want to gain from having a harness???

As above, you'll see lots of mixed views on this. I definitely wouldn't put a harness on any of mine, but I do love to see them running around in the garden when I let them free range (supervised at all times!!).

Back