• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

outdoor run advice

jubbly

Young Bun
Hi everyone

I got my 2 house rabbits - Colin and Justin - last weekend and am after a bit of advice about their housing please. :wave:

They're in a 2 story wooden hutch inside at the moment and I let them out on an evening supervised. After reading some of these links I might look at extending the front of their hutch with some of those mesh boxes so they've got more space during the day.

I was after advice on collapsing outdoor runs, all the rabbit ones seem tiny. I've been looking at puppy / chicken ones which are bigger but really expensive. I don't really want to make one - could I use the mesh box system outside? Has anyone done this? I'm going to try clicker training them too so a run that I can stand inside with them ie with no top would be good.

Was thinking something like this:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/donate/rabbitrun.asp
but the link to that isn't working.

Any advice appreciated and I'll try and post photos later!

I dont think the mesh boxes would be sturdy enough personally. If the rabbits escape from them indoors, then they are at least still contained in your house. If they escape in the garden, what would happen then?

Also - a bigger concern, especially if you're intending to leave them outside unsupervised - would the mesh boxes protect them from a sustained attack from a predator? I dont think so.

Sorry I cant help on the right outdoor run though - my two are both houserabbits. Although they go out in the garden, it's small and secure so they just run free :D with the backdoor open so they can come in/out as they want (til I'm too cold and make them come in!!)

Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't think I'd leave them outside unsupervised for long, not when I was going out, but I agree that these would probably be too flimsy. Ideally I'd like to rabbit proof a bit of the garden, will see what Mr Jubbly thinks this weekend!

I've just ordered some boxes to make a run to add to their indoor hutch, I can't wait for them to arrive!

Have you thought about using aviary panels to create a secure run? If your screw them together you can create a very secure box of various sizes that your buns should be safe in. They're more expensive, but definately worth it as you can create a permanent run that they can use all the time if you secure it properly.

Hi timb0h

Thanks that's a good idea. I'd looked at these panels that are meant for a chicken run below

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/5_x_3__Run_Panel_for_poultry.html

I've also seen this chicken run but I need to find out a bit more about it, whether the top opens and how high it is

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/product.html?product_id=954

Not sure how high chicken runs usually are??!!

Ideally I would like something that is really long for them to run, but folds away, so it's looking like I might have to attempt to make something. I'd like to be able to move it around so they can go on the grass when I can watch them and on the patio for longer lengths of time if I'm in and out of the house. It seems like quite a gap in the market though, some of the runs that are advertised as "huge" don't seem huge to me!

Chicken runs come in all shapes and sizes I'm afraid. That one looks like it would be two and a half or three feet wide and about the same tall. The height would be fine, but it's not very wide.

I'm afraid the foldable type runs don't tend to be very secure, so they are good for supervised time but not very good for permanent access. Perhaps you could have a permanent run on the patio and a foldable one for use on the lawn? For the supervised lawn run the ones you linked in your first post would be good, and there are some similar ones here:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing
Although most of them could use some kind of net to block off the top.

For the permanent run I would look for panels that are 6ft x 3ft as they make it a lot easier to design as you can easily make boxes out of that size using them on their side and then two panels on top and two panels below you can easily make a run that is 6ft x 6ft and 3ft tall.

I have the zooplus panels (almost 1m high) I never leave them unattended, always at least someone watching them from the kitchen sink if not in the garden with them. One of ours can jump out - she doesn't bother if its made up to full size but if its just half each, she scurries up the bars and that's that! Don't think the fabric cover would deter her.

There is someone on here - is it RabbitRuns? who makes collapsable wooden and wire ones. Try a search for rabbit runs

Do your rabbits have exercise in the house too? If so the 7'x5'x2' would definitely be fine. I don't think you need to worry about 3' for for something they are only in part time.

I have two of these in 6*4 - I've taken the end mesh from each and made them into one big run. It's fine, but only if you leave it out. I always fold the runs up and put them away and they have fallen apart really quickly - the wood isn't strong enough and the hinges not secure enough to cope with lots of movement and they've all broken. I would think this would be even worse with the 7*5 because it will be heavier.

As an aside - I don't know when you were planning on using it but I would be wary about putting houserabbits outdoors to exercise at this time of year; their coats have adapted to indoor temperatures so I wouldn't suggest putting them outside at this time of year unless it's an exceptionally mild day...and even then I'd be cautious as the ground will still be significantly colder than the air temperature.

Hi, thanks for all the advice. I thought that they would be ok outside for an hour or so of exercise if it's fairly mild - do you think not?

They do have at least a couple of hours out of their hutch to run round the living room on an evening and I'm going to make an extra run to add to this too for when I'm at work.

I've just done another search back through older posts and found this link:

http://www.freewebs.com/brrescue/rabbitruns.htm

These look great and I like that they are a re-homing centre too, I'm going to contact them, I don't think anybody could think these runs are too small!! :D If not I'll probably go for the Ebay one.

What do you think of this one for on the grass? Is 2 foot tall high enough do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-x-5-x-2-Fol...tZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item2a02732d85

I have this exact run bought from ebay. It is very well made, my only comments on it would be that it can be difficult to get a rabbit out if it doesn't want to come without actually getting in. The lid, to fold up as seen in the picture, is rather cumbersome. There is a hatch which can be used but it's only about a sixth of the size of the lid. Something to bear in mind.

Just a final update. I found 2 sellers on ebay who will make whatever size run you want and I asked for a price for a 9' X 5' X 3' high with a sheltered end, which will fit perfectly in the corner of the patio. The first quote is £110 which I think is pretty reasonable considering what it would cost for the materials, it will be out of 2X2 timber. I am happier that it's going to be 3' high as Justin loves to jump!

I will wait until spring to try them out in it though :)

I thought that they would be ok outside for an hour or so of exercise if it's fairly mild - do you think not?

My two are house rabbits but they have 'garden time' all year round. (Their base room in the house is not heated but it links to the lounge which is.) The amount of time they have outside varies according to the weather though - mainly cos I have to leave the back door open whilst they're out and it depends how cold I want to get! About 30 mins morning and evening in winter; could be all day in summer if I'm home. That works for us - Muppet would be very upset if he werent allowed out.

Back