• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

we are making a new hutch from scratch

amme

Warren Scout
what do I need to get to treat the new hutch? It will be normal wood, so need to know whether I gotta paint it with certain stuff or can just leave bare

Most water-based (pet-friendly) wood/fence preservers/stainers you can get from DIY stores, should be fine. Just check the tin to see what it says.

Otherwise, you might want to see if you can get pressure-treated wood as this will be weather-resistant for a couple of years; saves you trying to paint it with preserver in this weather!

Are you getting the wood from your local timber yard? It's a gazillion times cheaper than buying it from a DIY store.

Go to B&Q instead and get some Cuprinol Garden Shades or Cuprinol Heritage Shades as it is labelled as harmless to animals and I've found it to be very good :)

I recently built a new hutch as well, it was tonnes cheaper from the timber yard and they even delivered it for free. I got them to cut the sheets into the right size as well and they charged 50p per cut. I spent about £80 with wood from them, if I had used Wickes I think it would have cost over £140.

Back