• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunnies! ...and help?

Veronica

Mama Doe
Well I collected the Ange's bunnies on Tuesday. Ange was very upset, it was heartbreaking tbh. However...she knows they will be well cared for and loved :)

I will do a better thread about each of them :) (They are gorgeous, beautiful bunnies :love: )
However, for now, I'm just wanting help/suggestions.
Baby and Snowy sound very snotty/chesty to me. (Snotty sounds when eating/breathing etc).
I have found Baby to be quite aggressive and territorial in her behaviour towards me, her hutch and Snowy. Baby is female. Snowy is a neutered male.
Snowy is also bald on his back from repeated mounting from Baby. She seems very stressed out, hormonal, and he seems very stressed by her (although the two will sit next to each other a times).
I feel the snuffles is being made worse by the stress each bunny is causing to each other.
I am debating whether to seperate the two in order to treat the snuffles successful and remove the stress factor. However, would the stress of being seperated be as bad?
The hormonal behaviour displayed by Baby is repeated and intimidating to Snowy. To me, she acts like a very very instinctive, unneutered female!Ange was told by the RSPCA she was spayed. I do question this though!

What would you do?
The snuffles has been going on now for a few months, and I can see why Ange was getting stressed by it.

My personal opinion would be to separate them. If you could do it and still have them in cages next to each other that would seem like the perfect solution. That way they can still rub noses through the bars but won't be able to mount etc.

They sound like they're stressed together... how long have they been a pair?
I would also get Baby checked. If she's mounting him enough to pull that much fur out... (When Grimlock had teeth he would mount like crazy and could never be bonded due to that. I don't think it's fair on the other bun) Even if she is spayed it could be a hormone imbalance, or even just stress. Maybe she feels under pressure to be the alpha? How can they tell if she's been done?

If they're having trouble breathing from the snuffles and then exerting themselves on to of that by fighting I think it would be best to split them up. :(

It's possible that some ovarian tissue was left behind after her spay, so she is still hormonal. That is if shew was spayed at all.
Does your vet do endoscopy? they might be able to have a look (I think this is possible)

Back