• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring for a disabled Bun

Bundinki

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone,
I have recently joined this site & I am hopefully going to adopt a pair of buns in the next couple of weeks, and am looking for a bit of advice regarding the floor of the summerhouse. One of the buns has only 3 legs (the girlie bun has apparently lost a front paw due to being attacked by the male bun she was paired with:cry:) ( the female is hopefully going to be bonded with a suitable male)

I have a 10ft by 8ft summer house, which is heated that I shall put them in during the day, and bring them in of an evening so they are nice and snug & warm throughout the winter, however the summerhouse is laminated, and I am looking to put something over this so that she is able to hop around and exercise properly, I have some carpet offcuts, and two indoor cages that I will put in the summerhouse, one is similar to a nero 4? But I just don't know whether to buy some lino or rubber type flooring, I want something which is relatively easy to clean, as I don't know if they have been litter trained.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated

:wave:

Last edited:
I'd say that thick rubber matting would be best. It will be easy to keep clean but have sufficient 'bounce' to absorb some impact when she hops. I'd also provide some carpeted areas where she can rest in comfort if she wants to. Carpet offcuts are relatively cheap to buy so it doesn't matter if you have to change it quite often.

Large rubber mats can be purchased from equine merchants - it's used to line stable floors and horse-boxes.

Thanks for the hint
venice

I'd say that thick rubber matting would be best. It will be easy to keep clean but have sufficient 'bounce' to absorb some impact when she hops. I'd also provide some carpeted areas where she can rest in comfort if she wants to. Carpet offcuts are relatively cheap to buy so it doesn't matter if you have to change it quite often.

Large rubber mats can be purchased from equine merchants - it's used to line stable floors and horse-boxes.

I would maybe pm Liz (Hugo's There) as she has several 3 legged buns and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the info guys, have been looking at rubber flooring on the internet. Will pm Liz tho to see what she does, :) Have had a three legged bunny myself, but I had carpet throughout at the time, now have carpet & laminate, I don't want her hurting herself :oops:
X

I would maybe pm Liz (Hugo's There) as she has several 3 legged buns and might be able to point you in the right direction.

All my 3 legged buns are indoors and have a combination of carpet and vet bed.

They all have missing hindlimbs though. I find that a missing or disabled front limb causes more problems with sore hocks so someting for their feet to sink into is essential.

Must admit I have never used rubber matting as all my disabled buns are house buns :)

Back