• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People who get prescription for myxo

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
and vhd vaccines - can you recommend any online pharmacy that sells the vaccines at a good price?

Do you get all yours done at the vets then?

I took my buns for their myxo today and the vet agreed to do me a prescription next april for all my vhd and myxo with a choice of buying the vaccines through the vets or online, but I'm struggling to find more than 1 online supplier

No I can get them online with a prescription from the vet, but can only find one supplier online.
Do any rescues buy theirs direct online?

When I spoke with the manufacturers of Nobivac and Lapinject they both said they could not supply to anyone/any company other than a Veterinary surgeon.
That convo took place back in the Summer :?

My vet was happy to write a prescription for me, and asked whether I wanted to buy them direct from them or online, so unless she's not completely au fait with POM's maybe getting them direct isn't quite so simple as she thinks.

~This company though says it will supply with a prescription http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/searchprods.asp
Think I'll phone them tomorrow

Do you get all yours done at the vets then?

I took my buns for their myxo today and the vet agreed to do me a prescription next april for all my vhd and myxo with a choice of buying the vaccines through the vets or online, but I'm struggling to find more than 1 online supplier

The vet comes to my house to vaccinate all the rabbits, I pay the same as any normal bunny owner plus a call out fee on top :wave:

I thought a vet had to administer the vaccines because of the myxi being part intradermal and the high risk of the VHD vaccine

The vet comes to my house to vaccinate all the rabbits, I pay the same as any normal bunny owner plus a call out fee on top :wave:

I thought a vet had to administer the vaccines because of the myxi being part intradermal and the high risk of the VHD vaccine

As a rescue you can ask your vet to show you how to administer correctly.
If they are happy you can do it ok, and they have seen you do it correctly, they can give you a prescription to do it yourself.
Can I just say here (before everyone tries it at their vets) that I am not administering the vaccine, but it is someone that the vet knows, who does hundreds of these each year)

Personally I wouldn't want to do it myself. When they are vaccinated they all get a thorough health check from the vets. If I vaccinated myself then I would then have to pay £25 to take the buns to the vets for a check up. Also so many of my bunnies have health problems that I always leave it down to the vet on the day to decide whether they are healthy enough to have a vaccination. It is not something I would feel I am qualified to decide upon myself :) I actually sent one to the vets today for VHD and they sent her home without it as they didn't feel she was well enough :?

Personally I wouldn't want to do it myself. When they are vaccinated they all get a thorough health check from the vets. If I vaccinated myself then I would then have to pay £25 to take the buns to the vets for a check up. Also so many of my bunnies have health problems that I always leave it down to the vet on the day to decide whether they are healthy enough to have a vaccination. It is not something I would feel I am qualified to decide upon myself :) I actually sent one to the vets today for VHD and they sent her home without it as they didn't feel she was well enough :?

No,I wouldn't want to do it myself either, and I think the bi-annual check up that you get at the vets when you vaccinate is valuable.

Is it different though if you're administering vaccines for your own animals? Is it just that a vet nurse isn't allowed to administer vaccines for paying clients?

I must admit I always thought that vaccines were only available for vets to give though; but looking at NOAH it is just listed as a POM-V so there's nothing there that says that they can't give you a prescription for it :?

i know i'm biased, but i would agree with this. Thats why i still pay to take my buns to the vet rather than get them at cost price from college and do it myself. I'm not yet qualified and i really value another person's opinion, the opportunity to ask questions and a thorough health check, which is more than i can do on my own.

The employees at my local RSPCA do the vacs themselves
Don't know if many vets woyuld be happy giving prescriptions for the vacs..unless they charged for each individual vacs or they'd lose alot of money:?

Last edited:
Back