• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coccidiosis weight loss - help needed

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya. As some of you may know Ginger and Pickles both had 2 bouts of coccidiosis last year, along with worms. Pickles is now completely fine, overweight even, but Ginger is really, really thin. The damage to his intestines means he's not absorbing food, and it's left him with no fat, nor muscle tone on him whatsoever - he's quite literally a skeleton with fur. I'm feeding him so much it's ridiculous, spending literally £100 or so a week on food, and he's wolfing it down, yet he still will not gain weight. I've tried everything I can think of:

Porridge: Gives him the runs
SS recovery: Gives him the runs
Pellets and mix of all shape and forms: Gives him the runs
High calorie vegetables such as peas and sweetcorn: Gives him the runs
Fruit: Been told of by the resident vet - apparently that does more harm than good :?
Bread and crackers: Ditto

You get the picture! Anyway, does anyone have any other suggestions, anything at all? Please, I'm getting so desperate for him - I know another illness would just carry him off cuz he's got no spares to use up.

Last edited:
Has he had a blood test or anything to rule out any other sor of problem?

I would also suggest Nutrical because that has helped a few of my buns.

Has he had a blood test or anything to rule out any other sor of problem?

I would also suggest Nutrical because that has helped a few of my buns.

He had a recent blood test which showed slight anaemia, but the vet said that was nothing at all to worry about. The surprising thing is he's bouncing with health - livelier in fact than I've ever known him!

Is Nutrical ok for buns then? I heard as it's not made for herbivores it's not suitable. I'm so desperate though I swear I'd give ANYTHING a go!

Last edited:
It does smell of beef, but it is commonly used in the US by very rabbit savvy people. I have used it with positive outcomes, however, if you don't feel safe using it then don't. Always trust yourself above others.

When you've given things like oats, do you do so in minimal amounts, or large amounts? A sunflower seed or two a day might be a good thing, if he will eat them.

Was his Liver function OK in the recent bloods ?

Well, they were high in calcium and low in protein, does that have anything to do with the liver? The vet did a scan, which was partially obscured by gas, but what he saw of the liver was ok.

Talking of gas, Ginger Bun's tummy is very noisy - it's actually keeping me awake at night! He's had that since the illness last year too. Does anyone know how it's related, and how I can alleviate it? I've tried giving him tummy rubs but I'm scared I'm doing it wrong, and the last thing I want to do is make any problems worse.

You poor thing - what a worry. :(

Have you tried a probiotic at all? I just wondered if that might help with the runs.

You poor thing - what a worry. :(

Have you tried a probiotic at all? I just wondered if that might help with the runs.

Yep, done that. He's fine normally, it's only when I give him the things I mentioned he gets an upset stomach - I've had a sample of his stools tested and everything.

Back