• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh my,I am popular at our local P @ H !!!!

willowholly

Mama Doe
Went to get the buns supplies & thought would look at the buns as usual.They had 2 seperate buns with a notice saying only housed on own as dont like other buns.I asked if they were neutured & they said No but they had to be seperated as they were fighting.Apparently they were their buns in the beginning.I said the notice was deceiving & that if they were neutured they should be ok with other buns.They said they dont promote that idea as it doesn't always work out so its not worth it.They then started to roll their eyes when I said the fan on one of the buns was so strong you could see the hay moving & that it would drive me mad if it was on my face all day.When I got home I realised the gorgeus frenchie they had didn't have any hay at all.Im sure im known as the mad rabbit woman now but I dont care.I felt close to tears,this little dutch kept clambering up its plastic prison,so excited to see me & because of their notice,it is destined,at best,to a life without other buns,at worst,maybe death if they cant rehome it.Dont think I can face going in there anymore now I know what their policys are.4assistants were stood saying this,not just 1 & im guessing the main spokeswoman was the manageress.They have always seemed so good in the past.Does that mean all their adoptive buns can only go as single buns if they dont believe in neuturing?Not that im against single housebuns as all but my present 2 have been single but these people aren't giving people the option.Am really not impressed.:(

Last edited:
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I wish I could take ALL the buns from P@H.... there were some BEAUTIFUL babies there the other day, sooooo small, I wasnt sure if they were REALLY 8 weeks old... :?

They have a sign by the rabbits saying gender isnt guarenteed, lol. :roll:

What an awful story :(

Maybe someone (who is a bit smarter and more pro-active than me) should start a petition about the generally poor standard of care that bunnies have at these store.

Start off by passing it round RU, sure you'll get a signature or two. :roll:

Maybe someone (who is a bit smarter and more pro-active than me) should start a petition about the generally poor standard of care that bunnies have at these store.

The trouble is its very dangerous to generalise in such a manner. The stores in my area are generally very good. I've seen them refuse to sell to people who didn't have adequate housing and a few staff interigate potential bunny owners like there is not tomorrow.

Your story is SO similar to the one that led me to adopt two sisters from their 'adoptive' section. They were fighting and had been returned twice - and the store were selling as lone buns only - but had not even considered the neuter issue.

I adopted them and neutered them . they are lovely buns.

I too am having troubles with local store at present. SIGH.

The trouble is its very dangerous to generalise in such a manner. The stores in my area are generally very good. I've seen them refuse to sell to people who didn't have adequate housing and a few staff interigate potential bunny owners like there is not tomorrow.
I'm not a fan of this chain of shops and refuse to shop in there whilst they sell livestock. Hpwever, I'd be interested to know what housing was deemed inadequate and if it was housing that they stocked. If so, as a potential buyer, I'd be more than a little peeved.

I'm not a fan of this chain of shops and refuse to shop in there whilst they sell livestock. Hpwever, I'd be interested to know what housing was deemed inadequate and if it was housing that they stocked. If so, as a potential buyer, I'd be more than a little peeved.

The lady wanted a nero 3 for a pair of piggies. The assistant stated he'd only sell her the piggies if she bought a nero 4 as minimum for 2 piggies is 4ft x 2ft. He advised the 3 was suitable for a single piggie only which he did not advise as they do better with a friend or as a hospital cage. She had a huge strop about it.

Could you maybe write to their head office and express your concerns - as people have mentioned, different stores have different ways of doing things, it isn't necessarily the policy of the whole chain. I'm so glad I don't have to go in pet shops any more, they make me sad :(

I'm sure Lspacehopper(Laura) will be along soon to say this anyway, but do write to the store manager & head office with your concerns, it's the only way things will get changed!

Laura runs our local P@H & does as much as she can to look after the animals & ensure they get good homes - and supports Honeybunny's too! So not all stores are the same.

Likewise where I live.:wave:

The lady wanted a nero 3 for a pair of piggies. The assistant stated he'd only sell her the piggies if she bought a nero 4 as minimum for 2 piggies is 4ft x 2ft. He advised the 3 was suitable for a single piggie only which he did not advise as they do better with a friend or as a hospital cage. She had a huge strop about it.
:( Nero 4 is under 4 feet (if you google it) therefore they are contradicting themselves and even if it was 4 feet, that is woefully inadequate :(

Nero 4 is under 4 feet (if you google it) therefore they are contradicting themselves and even if it was 4 feet, that is woefully inadequate

Its 46.5" by 25.4" so its not far off, an much better than a Nero 3. Why do you think 4ft x 2ft is inadequate? Obviously bigger is always better but I was under the impression this was ok for piggies.

I'm sure Lspacehopper(Laura) will be along soon to say this anyway, but do write to the store manager & head office with your concerns, it's the only way things will get changed!

Laura runs our local P@H & does as much as she can to look after the animals & ensure they get good homes - and supports Honeybunny's too! So not all stores are the same.
I am going to write to the headoffice.I appreciate not all stores are the same.I think its more the staff than the store themselves.Our store has always been pretty good in the past but they have had an overhall of the staff recently.Its the home alone signs that have upset me & not neuturing advice given as it "not worth it"that I find worrying.
I gathered Laura works in a store & I wish more stores had staff like her-someone with rabbit knowledge.:)

p@h might not be perfect - who is? its a good idea to write and tell them how to improve.

i go to our local p@h all the time - its near a bus stop and i can afford the taxi fare back with my goodies. i'd like to go to the equine suppliers but transport is impossible. i can't have deliveries because i'm not at home to receive them. p@h is practicable for me and supplies a lot of the things i need.

the approach many r u people have to rabbits might be right, but as yet it isn't common in the wider community. much more education is needed. we should get into schools, as well as educating pet shops. i teach. i suppose i should start it...i'll do something on make mine chocolate as easter approaches, i suppose...

the last time a lil blk white dutch paw at the plastic cage with warning agressive bites etc ................ i took him home got him neutered and is my soppyest snuggle bun i have and loves his wife very much:oops:

Back