• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recent Dental - what foods can i tempt him with?

Rabbers

Mama Doe
Thought I'd ask here (i have another thread in the Health section) but going shopping in a bit so need more answers!!

Ozzie the rabbit had his 1st dental on Tuesday and since then he hasn't been eating quite normally. The vet kept him in overnight and he's now home and is eating but only selectively.
He's going back for his check up tomorrow morning, but until then what can i try him on?

He will eat:

greens - but not the stalks
parsley
parsnip - doesn't finish the chunk tho
carrot - as with the parsnip
chunks of dried bread - his fave treat and still loves them now... hasn't refused one yet!
oats
dandelions
flaked peas - ate one of these at least

He won't eat:
pellets - he usually has a mix of SS mature and original
his treats like Fenugreek crunchies
stalks of greens
and i don't think he's eaten any hay or readigrass

Why do you think he's not eating - can his teeth still be hurting? Has anyone had an experience like this? Could it be a sign there is something else wrong?

And what can i get to tempt him more! I've run out of parsley and dandelions now!!!! I was wondering whether a small amount of Russell Rabbit mix might tempt him...?

Thanks x

Did the Vet say anything about pain relief? When mine have had dentals under GA, they've had a long lasting pain killer at the Vets then a follow up visit after 48 hours, with more pain relief needed if not eating normally.

Have you tried softening his pellets? He might eat them that way.

It does sound like his mouth may still be a bit sore poor boy, hope he feels better soon :D

I grated carrot over Mary's pellets after dentals and he'd usually eat a few carrot-flavoured pellets this way :) I gave fresh grass instead of hay too as he prefered eating that, just pulled fresh handfuls up throughout the day

great - thanks for the ideas. Yes the vet said to bring him back in 48hrs which is tomorrow morning. So I'll ask about pain killers then. I'll soften some pellets now with some grated carrot and see if that helps...

It's a relief to know that it is normal to still have sore teeth after a dental. I'll stop worrying so much then! Otherwise Oz is almost normal. He is more grumpy and less friendly, but he comes to the door when i shake the treat jar like normal and he's still running around occasionally. He's also harvesting leaves and things from the garden like normal!

Lets hope it's just some residual pain.

Thanks again :wave:

yes, I'll ask about Metacam tomorrow. I have just made up the most yummy bowl for him! Even I'd eat it.

Grated carrot, parsnip, radish, apple, pieces of parsley, pellets (softened). I've shut his friend up while i leave him with the bowl. He's nibbling!I'm hoping he'll eat a lot of it in his own time - esp the pellets.

he didn't really like my mix after all! Just took a few selective bites.

BUT I did just see him nibble two strands of Readigrass yay!!! I did a little dance :lol:

So i quickly walked away as he doesn't like me watching him eat!!

Lots of eating vibes for this bun. For Lola's case it was extra pain-relief required. :wave:
Same with Spike... increasing the Metacam really helped even though it was only by a bit.

p.s. I'm laughing about your bun not eating when being watched, I swear Spike has just tried to throw a strop as well

They like their peace and quiet don't they!

We're all booked in for 9am tomorrow so I'll discuss the painkillers with the vet. I'm not sure whether thats what they have planned anyway, but I'll make sure I bring it up if they don't.

Thanks for all your advice - I've never had a dental bun before. It's all new and scary!

Why do you think he's not eating - can his teeth still be hurting? Has anyone had an experience like this? Could it be a sign there is something else wrong?

It might be that any spurs have caused ulcers on the insides of his cheeks or on his tongue ,hopefully as these start to heal his apetite will be back to normal again. My dental bun used to have to get antibiotics after dentals,he was great at hiding the fact he needed his teeth burred until the spurs grew quite long and caused ulcers and on the first occassion a spur had pierced his tongue immobilising it :shock:

Back