• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angora Care?

logiebear

Young Bun
Does any one have experience with this breed. We have had a male come into our little rescue and he is VERY fluffy!!! I don;t have a pic right now but he is very long coated and I need advice on how to trim and care for his long coat please.

Thanks

Is he matted? If so the easiest thing is to get him a buzz cut - if he's going to be neutered the vet can do it at the same time.

The fur grows very fast so then just a trim with scissors regularly to keep it to a manageable length. Trim the areas around the underside and lower limbs most (where fur would touch the ground) but you can leave it slightly longer around the head/top half.

He has a couple of mats on him and he is already neutered. The owner just didn't have time to care for him any more and he just getting over an eye infection from having his fur in his eyes!

Am I right in thinking brushing him is a bad idea as it causes pain if it is matted? So cutting the mats off is best??

If there is a mat I would just cut it out, you'd have a job brushing it and like you say it would probably hurt. Do be careful with the scissors though as they mat close to the skin and their skin is quite thin.

this breed requires daily grooming and do take up alot of time if hes in a really bad wa i wold advise shaving it all off you can spin the fur to make great things too ;)
if hes not too bad put your self aside a few hours and get him dematted and he will look lovely again before you know it :D you must remember though daily grooming after that so avoid it happening again but that wont take so long once hes sorted ;)

I will be very careful. He is very calm and I'll post a pic when I can as I have never seen an angora in the flesh with such fuzz lol

Thanks

I will be very careful. He is very calm and I'll post a pic when I can as I have never seen an angora in the flesh with such fuzz lol

Thanks

you should see the show ones :lol: they are bundles of fluff
you should be ok ive been told they have a reasonably easy to groom coat :D

If he is to remain outside, you cannot shave all his fur off, you would have to bring him in to do this.

I have an angora x and I trim the fur on her snout, & fur on her body that touchs the floor, but shes still got alot of fluff! (shes outdoors)
I have to groom Ava daily or she ends up a big tatty mess! I bought propper brushs to do Ava with (not the little ones you get a pets @ home!) and ive found her fur condition has been alot better also.

I have an angora x and I trim the fur on her snout, & fur on her body that touchs the floor, but shes still got alot of fluff! (shes outdoors)
I have to groom Ava daily or she ends up a big tatty mess! I bought propper brushs to do Ava with (not the little ones you get a pets @ home!) and ive found her fur condition has been alot better also.

Which brush is it please?

He is to be an outside bunny so I think I will just trim him up, Thanks a lot xx

one of my lionheads is extremely fuzzy and mats really easily.. i have to brush him daily. I use a cat flea comb, but it has alternate long and short teeth which help tease out any knots.

Here is a pic of my cashmere lop Bungle.

Then
DSCF0292.jpg

Now
IMG00444-20091108-1422.jpg

IMG00375-20091025-1942-1.jpg

He needs daily grooming and it takes about half an hour a time to get all his knots out. He is very hard work as he hates being brushed so wriggles all the time.

The only bit im not sure about is the bottoms of his feet. He has matts under each foot that I think need cutting away but I dont wanna leave too little fur under there incase if sore hocks.

Back