• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diabetic Bunnies....

Fimbit

Young Bun
I was wondering if people had any experience with this and what the symptoms can include.

The reason being is I am starting to wonder if one of my bunnies needs to go for a test. He drinks a lot more then any bunny I've had before, and as a result wee's a lot more, sometimes getting water infections. This is my main reason for being concerned

However he also has....
A sticky eye that has been tested and returned back as normal, however this is sometimes really hard to keep under control. He then has a cyst under his chin, which we get drained every so often when he becomes uncomfortable. I know these arn't common symptoms in other species, however diabetes in a bunny is not easy to detect and due to a bunnies diet they have generally high glucose levels and due to stress making them higher it seems like there is little to be found on the internet about it as from what I gather it's rather un-heard of, though I do know of a confirmed Diabetic degu, so i wouldn't say it was impossible.

Anyway I'm just curious if anyone else may have any experience I could draw on.

Diabetes is normally controlled by diets in bunnies.

Degu's are susceptable to diabetes, they were originally domesticated when they were brought into labs for research on diabetes :)

I would definately check for kidney function and EC as well as diabetes

^In addition to what Liz said, I also wonder about a skull x-ray to see if a tooth root problem is the culprit of the eye issue, and if they can flush the tear duct.

I do think a blood test is a good place to start.

^In addition to what Liz said, I also wonder about a skull x-ray to see if a tooth root problem is the culprit of the eye issue, and if they can flush the tear duct.

I do think a blood test is a good place to start.

Both these have been done. Neither have had any effect.

Another thought - could it be a natural way of trying to "flush" out infection if he has the eye and cyst problem?

Diabetes is normally controlled by diets in bunnies.

Degu's are susceptable to diabetes, they were originally domesticated when they were brought into labs for research on diabetes :)

I would definately check for kidney function and EC as well as diabetes

I will look into the Kidney function. He receives regular panacur, and I believe he has been checked for EC but I can ask them to check again :)

The tear duct flush and the x-ray, or the x-ray and the blood test?

If you haven't had the blood test done maybe that's you're starting point?

Sorry mis-read about the blood test, He has had a tear duct flush twice, and a skull x-ray, though no blood test as yet.

Artie has always drunk a lot, right from being very young. I did wonder about diabetes for a short while, though never followed it up. I suspect it's to do with his bladder not being just as it should be but not sure what causes him to drink more. It was water infections that got Artie's 'diagnosis'. It could be something similar with your bunny, maybe.

Edit to add: Has the bunny ever had xrays of his bladder?

Artie's problems are caused because he can't get rid of the calcium that's building up therefore causing the infections, not sure if there's a mechanism that make him want to drink more for this reason but wonder if there's a link.

Last edited:
One of my rabbits is diabetic and I have to now inject her twice a day.

She drunk an excessive amount (not just more than normal). But a massive bottle of water a day! she also started to lose weight very quickly.

The vet can do a glucose test on your bun, from wee or blood - so maybe have a test done just to rule it out?

Diabetes in rabbits is very rare!

One of my rabbits is diabetic and I have to now inject her twice a day.

She drunk an excessive amount (not just more than normal). But a massive bottle of water a day! she also started to lose weight very quickly.

One of our bunny, Flossie, is also diabetic, we have to inject her every morning.

We had the same symptoms, drinking lots and lots of water causing a urine infection. She also was loosing a lot of weight, but continuously eating hay (and even with extra pellets for a few days still lost weight)

Since she has been having the insulin the water consumption is back to normal and we don't have little accidents on the floor anymore - we thought she was just a naughty bunny who went on the floor when we weren't looking.

It now seems as if she is used to the injection, as each morning when I come down to her she runs into the house which is the only place she likes being picked up from. My wife has to stop her exploring the dining room table whilst I prepare the needle - it is definately a two person job:D

Back