• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fleeces/Blankets as Bedding

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
At the moment Radish has a megazorb/wood pellet mixture in her litter tray and then I also put Carefresh all over the floor of her indoor cage.

This is costing me quite a bit of money and time cleaning out the cage and I wondered if it would be possible to use fleece blankets for the floor of her cage instead.

Thanks

I really wouldn't. My pair love to eat blankets, and I think most other buns do too! I did consider buying a tough waterproof dog matress for the boys though, as they'd perhaps find it harder to chew. Might this work for you?

I use fleece blankets and vetbed for all my rabbits and piggies:) I did buy porky and shadow a little duvet but porky ate the cover and went into stasis:shock:

I really wouldn't. My pair love to eat blankets, and I think most other buns do too! I did consider buying a tough waterproof dog matress for the boys though, as they'd perhaps find it harder to chew. Might this work for you?

She doesn't chew blankets just licks them. She has a duvet cover on the living room floor she loves to run about and sleep on and she has never tried to chew it.

I use carpet offcuts, fleece blankets, washable mats and vet bed.
Never had a problem with my buns eating any of them and they are less messy than hay etc.
Try it and see. If your bun chews and eats them then you might have to take them away, but hopefully it should be fine x

Harry got a fleecy cage liner and then a hooded cat bed with a fleece blanket then carefresh in this litter tray and i havent had any problems although i wld recommand a small hand held hoover to hoover the fleeces with, it save time, easier and is less mess then dragging fleece with hay out the cage(ps i do clean under the fleece after i hoover)

My Wilm has a 6 ft chaise lounge from Ikea and he sleeps on a cushion in the middle of it! :lol:

If they don't chew I would imagive fleece blankets would be fine.

i use fleece blankets in their area and matthew and tabitha don't eat them. i have one over the top of their old cage, which they use as a hiding place, as they will walk and sit on top, and mustn't get their legs caught. i have another over the carrier, which is another hiding place and step, so that they can sit comfortably on top without being bothered by the handle. i'm going to make a cosy corner with two more, as there might be an op coming soon and i want to be sure there's a place i can close off if somebun needs time alone.

Harry got a fleecy cage liner and then a hooded cat bed with a fleece blanket then carefresh in this litter tray and i havent had any problems although i wld recommand a small hand held hoover to hoover the fleeces with, it save time, easier and is less mess then dragging fleece with hay out the cage(ps i do clean under the fleece after i hoover)

good tip!

Could you use old towels? I found fleeces too fluffy for my bunnies- they kept getting bits of fluff in their mouths, but towels seem to be fine. Also, ask in your local carpet shop to see if they have any free offcuts- just got a lovely piece from my local one.

Back