• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad news about Flynn's ear

ShazzaBunny

Warren Veteran
Flynn has had an ear infection for a while now and has been on baytril for 3-4 weeks. He was back at the vets today and the vet has stopped the abx because they are not helping. From experience, he does not think another type of abx will clear it either. He has two other bunny patients with the same problem and they both have abcesses and are not doing so good :(. He said if we continue cleaning Flynn's ear twice a week (which we have been) it should prevent abscesses. We have been given a saline solution to help with the cleaning too.

But it will be an ongoing problem for the rest of his life :cry:. Next time Flynn gets a dental we are going to get the ear properly flushed out under GA. I feel desperatly sad for my brave wee boy, he has been through so much in 6 years to now have this as an ongoing issue too is heartbreaking.

His hind legs are still week from the paralysis due to EC, and although he can walk again, he cant get the power to give his ear a good scratch, which is frustrating for him. We try to scratch his ears for him when we can, but we are not able to be there all the time :(.

Flynn has had an ear infection for a while now and has been on baytril for 3-4 weeks. He was back at the vets today and the vet has stopped the abx because they are not helping. From experience, he does not think another type of abx will clear it either. He has two other bunny patients with the same problem and they both have abcesses and are not doing so good :(. He said if we continue cleaning Flynn's ear twice a week (which we have been) it should prevent abscesses. We have been given a saline solution to help with the cleaning too.

But it will be an ongoing problem for the rest of his life :cry:. Next time Flynn gets a dental we are going to get the ear properly flushed out under GA. I feel desperatly sad for my brave wee boy, he has been through so much in 6 years to now have this as an ongoing issue too is heartbreaking.

His hind legs are still week from the paralysis due to EC, and although he can walk again, he cant get the power to give his ear a good scratch, which is frustrating for him. We try to scratch his ears for him when we can, but we are not able to be there all the time :(.

aww poor flynny give him a hug from me

Can you bring this to Jane's attention - I am sure she can advise you the best, especially as two of her boys have had recent ear problems.

Poor lad, I now have three Velveteens with otitis externa :cry:

ATM Morse is on Depocillin, Metronidazole, Metacam and a Manuka Honey/Olive Oil ear drop

Victor is on Depocillin, Metronidazole, Metacam and Canaural

Colin is just on the Manuka Honey/Olive Oil ear drops as his problem is not severe........not yet anyway.

My Vet has also been told of success in treating with a topical ear treatment made up from 0.9ml of 2.5% Baytril and 0.1ml Dexadreson

There is a surgical option, a Lateral Ear Canal resection. But I would only put a Bun through that as a very, very last resort and if the Bun had no other health problems. Its a huge op.

I hope Flynn will remain as comfy as possible

xx

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Jane, i think i may say to my vet about your velveteens and ask his opinion then, he is really easy to talk to and listens. We did discuss surgery (well Scott and my vet did, i was at work on both occasions that surgery has been discussed), but like you said, its a risky and tricky op. My vet has done one before while the bun pulled through, it later passed away :(. With Flynn's other issues its simply not worth it :(.

I feel so bad for him, he had severe ear mites when i got him, was a snuffle bun, had crystals in his bladder. Occassionally gets status, has palsy in his face, was paralised with EC, is a dental bun and now this :cry:.

My Daisy has been on Baytril, metacam and metrodiazole for a severe lower ear infection for 16 months. The medication is to simply "hold" the infection and has given her this additional time, as it was never going to be cured. She was under Bristol Vet Hospital.

Jane, i think i may say to my vet about your velveteens and ask his opinion then, he is really easy to talk to and listens. We did discuss surgery (well Scott and my vet did, i was at work on both occasions that surgery has been discussed), but like you said, its a risky and tricky op. My vet has done one before while the bun pulled through, it later passed away :(. With Flynn's other issues its simply not worth it :(.

I feel so bad for him, he had severe ear mites when i got him, was a snuffle bun, had crystals in his bladder. Occassionally gets status, has palsy in his face, was paralised with EC, is a dental bun and now this :cry:.

It's a tribute to your care that he's been doing relatively well till now. Sending huge vibes for the lovely boy..and to you. Perhaps some tablet will help cheer you... Seriously though..thinking of you.
Hx

All the Velveteens have very narrow ear canals so I feel sure this combined with their ear size makes infection more of a risk. They also all have a congenital deformity in their right ear canals so the infection is worse in that ear for all of them :cry:

We tried a long course of both Baytril and Septrin before going in for the more heavy duty abx. The Metronidazole certainly has a profound effect, presumably because it zaps anaerobic bacteria of which there must be alot in a case of otitis :?

The Manuka Honey/Olive Oil topical preparation came about after Morse became very poorly subsequent to being treated with AURIZON Ear drops. I cant say for certain it was the Aurizon that caused the problem but another Velveteen (Lord Lopsley) became ill and died of acute Liver Failure soon after starting treatment with Aurizon :cry: At the time my Vet contacted the manufacturers and Frances Harcourt-Brown and both said that the Aurizon was unlikely to be the cause of Lopsley's death. However, seeing Morse almost go the same way is all the 'proof' I need and I would now NEVER allow Aurizon Ear Drops to be used on a Rabbit in my care.

Phew, soz about that epic post................ :oops:

Sending more vibes to brave boy Flynn :love: You have taken such fantastic care of him xx

Thanks Raine, thats interesting to know, another thing i can mention to my vet.

:lol: Hilda, perfect excuse for tablet me thinks :). Thanks for your nice comments.

Jane, im giving the vet a call later or tomorrow (extreme busy day today, my friend is graduating) to discuss everything you, and others have said. It may be he still believes it wont work, and i will follow my vets judgement, but its always worth a mention if its something he may not have considered. Thank you so much for the advice and support.

Back