• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnies with arthritis

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
do you give anything to your bunnies to help or not?, rosie i noticed last year and suspected she had it abit, its worse for her in the mornings especially when she first gets up and if she tries to run upstairs sometimes her back legs will give way, a few times she has ended up rolling downstairs again and then looks shocked :shock: :(

ive started giving her the snugglesafe heatpad at night for her to rest her back legs on and help keeo them warm
what else could i do for her? or is there anything the vet could give us?

Metacam works really well for arthritis. It is definately worth getting her checked by a vet :)

Some people use glucosamine but my vet doesn't agree with its use on bunnies :?

Metacam works really well for arthritis. It is definately worth getting her checked by a vet :)

Some people use glucosamine but my vet doesn't agree with its use on bunnies :?

yeah i read about the glucosamine not being recommended on another thread

i also read in an older thread about Cartrohpen injections ??? :?

Our little Amelia has daily metacam for her arthritis & a snuggle pad at night to sleep on if she wants to. She's been so much better since being put on metacam :)

How do you know if a bun has athritis, should you get it x-rayed first. I've been wondering about Treacle, especially after Liz (hugo's there) said it can make them pee more too.

rosie's been to vets tonight and we came home with some metacam for her and some special food to add to her usual feed too :wave:

That's great Lisa - hope it helps your little girl :):love:

How do you know if a bun has athritis, should you get it x-rayed first. I've been wondering about Treacle, especially after Liz (hugo's there) said it can make them pee more too.

We found out about Amelia's arthritis through an xray - we had it done just before she was speyed, because she'd been incontinent for a few days. She also couldn't hop properly, so assumed that there was something underlying.

It turned out Amelia had got spurs on her knees from arthritis & bad spondylosis of the spine - which was affecting her mobility :( However, daily metacam has given her a new lease of life & she can't wait for it every day! :shock:

i can hear her munching the food now :love:, sometimes i think her spine goes funny, like when she panic when she can't get up and just looks like she is having a fit when she isn't but thrashes around trying to get up

Back