• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Otoscope has Died :-(

eBay? There seem to be quite few on there. Not sure how good they are though...

An otoscope is used for looking into the ears (or bunny moufs, hehe)

I really want one with metal seculum but I cant find one I can afford atm.

I bought my last one from Medisave :?

I always get my Vet to examine any Bun I have concerns about. But with so many with chronic ear/teeth issues I'd be at the Vets twice a day every day of the week if I were not able to do my own monitoring

I always get my Vet to examine any Bun I have concerns about. But with so many with chronic ear/teeth issues I'd be at the Vets twice a day every day of the week if I were not able to do my own monitoring

I wasn't implying you didn't get them checked, just saying that the reason I went for a cheap version was because I dont trust MYSELF :lol: and yes I am at the vets 4 or 5 times a week getting them checked :roll:

How do you know your using them correctly? I'm not questioning anyones use of them. I'm just curious if they come with instructions or anything. If they are that handy I may keep an eye on this thread myself for one, could be handy when you've got a dog like mine that likes sticking his head in the oddest of places! :lol:

How do you know your using them correctly? I'm not questioning anyones use of them. I'm just curious if they come with instructions or anything. If they are that handy I may keep an eye on this thread myself for one, could be handy when you've got a dog like mine that likes sticking his head in the oddest of places! :lol:

It's only a torch which shines light through 90 degrees. The conical head just directs the light down a "hole" eg ear or mouth, without the body of the torch getting in your view. Just need batteries & replacement light bulbs.

It's only a torch which shines light through 90 degrees. The conical head just directs the light down a "hole" eg ear or mouth, without the body of the torch getting in your view. Just need batteries & replacement light bulbs.

I see, so it's not something that has to be inserted right down the bun's ear then? Hmm still if they moved suddenly, thats what I was worried about.

I've actually not used one on a bunny - just humans. I've been told that you actually need a GA to visualize a bunny's ear drum properly.
I think you would need to ask a vet nurse/vet to show you how to use one in a bunny.
My otoscope didn't have any instructions. We were taught how to use it in med school.
ETA yes they do have to be inserted into the upper ear canal of a bunny.

otoscope.jpg

I have 2 otoscopes, I use it for ear and teeth. One is the above. It's Li Ion power, and the light is very bright, much brighter than the NiCd Ver. of the same brand name.

The silver part opens up, and it's smooth so it can move the tongue to view the teeth. So the above is really for the teeth only. In other words, I modify the ear otoscope for the teeth.

Then w/ the same handle, I attach the above to the digital scope:

http://www.welchallyn.com/promotions/digitalmacroview/learnmore.htm

and view the ear or the teeth w/ those photos you girls have seen at the photo section.

Overall, the quality is excellent but the service of the co. is extremely poor. If you can get another brand name for the same quality, do not go w/ those scum at welch allyn.

As to pricing of any otoscope, ebay is NOT the cheapest. I thought it is, and I did buy my 1s at ebay. But later on, I found another place that is cheaper than ebay.

http://www.mohawkmedicalmall.com/

Last edited:
Doubtless you've checked that all the connections are clean - no corrosion from batteries, batteries in the right way (only I can get them in the wrong way) I'm sorry to treat you like an idiot. It's honestly just a bloomin' expensive torch.

Well I did drop the new bulb as I took it from the packaging so whilst it looks OK it may be damaged. So I have ordered yet another new bulb in the hope that it will work.

Its so annoying as at the moment I really need my Otoscope.

I'm really sorry Jane. I don't have an otoscope any more, & we don't have a medical supply shop to get you a bulb here. Fingers crossed it works for you.

I've actually not used one on a bunny - just humans. I've been told that you actually need a GA to visualize a bunny's ear drum properly.
I think you would need to ask a vet nurse/vet to show you how to use one in a bunny.
My otoscope didn't have any instructions. We were taught how to use it in med school.
ETA yes they do have to be inserted into the upper ear canal of a bunny.

You need a GA to be able to see in a bun's ear?:shock:

Back