• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it ever possible for them to be chums??

LilOBun

Young Bun
I have seen a lot of things on here about bonding. I acquired my two buns a year ago and they live and play seperately, however, the first thing they do when they hop out of their hutches is go and kiss the other through the wire. :love:
It would be really lovely if they could play together but I have been advised by the vet that as Craig is still 'intact' and currently happy and healthy at 5 years old is not worth the stress of changing that, and so they won't ever be friends. A couple of times we have had accidental hutch hopping during the others play time and straight away Craig tries to hump Reg's head, but after they have been shoo'd away from each other they get on with their own thing and then pop back for a hello, which after a while results in another attempt at head humping! Does anyone think it's worth persevering with trying to make them playtime buddies until Craig leaves Reg's head alone, or do you advise to leave well alone as the vet advised?? I think Reg in particular would love a friend, he lost his brother 3 years ago and i'm sure he still misses the company.

Please make sure that both of your rabbits are neutered before attempting introductions. Five years is not too old for a rabbit; some of them live to be ten or older. IMO, it is worth trying to bond them-after neutering, of course.

They re-assert dominance everytime they meet & you risk some bun biting off other bun's bits:shock:

I would neuter both & bond on neutral territory:D

If you did decide to get him neutered you could ask for pre-op blood tests to see how healthy he is.

Back