• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bought a bale of meadow hay from a farm, have i done the right thing???

amme

Warren Scout
or not??
I used to buy the meadow hay form pets at home until i saw the farm by us that sells hay so i have bought a bale of meadow hay for £3.50. I havnt used it yet i was asking you lot to see if its o.k first:oops:

Does it smell nice? Sweet?

Which farm did you get it from ;) I was using Bradshaws in Burntwood but they hay the last few times hasnt been very good quality so at the moment im buying bags of hay, 7 a week at £2.50 a bag!!

xXx

Does it smell nice? Sweet?

Which farm did you get it from ;) I was using Bradshaws in Burntwood but they hay the last few times hasnt been very good quality so at the moment im buying bags of hay, 7 a week at £2.50 a bag!!

xXx

I got it from the farm by the fingerpost at pelsall. You can get to it either by the turf pub island or the fingerpost island pelsall.

I got it from the farm by the fingerpost at pelsall. You can get to it either by the turf pub island or the fingerpost island pelsall.

Ahh yes i know where your on about... Big house farm? Ive had it from her before.

Yep as long as its not mouldy, damp or funny smelling it should be fine :) xXx

I'd have thought the only problem would be if they had used pesticides on the field.

thanks for that i never thought about that :oops:. I did say it was for the rabbit and they didnt say anything about pesticides. I suppose i had better pop back down there tommorrow and ask.

Rabbits are fine with horse quality hay, but not cattle quality hay. I can't imagine pesticides would be used on a field that they eventually use for hay, but you never know, so if it puts your mind at rest, then do ask (maybe a phone call would be easier?).

I buy my hay by the bale and it works out far cheaper, plus my buns absolutely love it which is the most important thing.

Ahh yes i know where your on about... Big house farm? Ive had it from her before.

Yep as long as its not mouldy, damp or funny smelling it should be fine :) xXx

thats the one:D:D
nope i can't see any mould or damp and as for a funny smell!!!!!!!!

Thas good then as its a huge bale of hay. I have got peugot 807 7 seater and i had to fold the seats down and length wise it filled the whole of the car!!! i could just about lift it LOL

Rabbits are fine with horse quality hay, but not cattle quality hay.

What's the difference between horse quality and cattle quality? The hay I get from a farm down the road is just advertised as "Hay" so I have no idea what type it is, but the buns love it. So much so that I've dramatically cut back on the excel hay I buy as they don't tend to eat that anymore :shock:

I'd love to be able to buy hay by the bale but I can't find anywhere near me that sells it (which is ridiculous cause there are loads of farms around). Anyone know of any farms that sell good hay for bunnies in Hertfordshire?

Where do you think pet shop hay comes from in the first place? It's all farm hay, just bagged up and sold at a huge profit in shops. As long as it's fresh smelling and not damp or mouldy i would feel very pleased with yourself that you've found a good cheap source of bunny's best food :)

I'd love to be able to buy hay by the bale but I can't find anywhere near me that sells it (which is ridiculous cause there are loads of farms around). Anyone know of any farms that sell good hay for bunnies in Hertfordshire?

There's a place on the A1 near Sandy :wave: Anywhere near you?

Back