Same here :?

Ronnie has to live forever :love:

Yep, and my Daisy too :love:

peacle
24-11-2009, 03:06 PM
one of my friends has a 7year old conti

biscuitblossom
24-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I've got young British Giant crosses....be interested to know how old they live to.

Jack's-Jane
24-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I've got young British Giant crosses....be interested to know how old they live to.

I was told they are 'lucky' to make it to 5 :cry:

Libby is 4 next year............

biscuitblossom
24-11-2009, 03:15 PM

:( I've never had much luck with my larger bunnies,I've had 2 frenchies in the past , Blossom died at 7 months and Bella was only just over a year ...then of course there was Ziggy (british giant x french lop) he died at 10 weeks :(

peacle
24-11-2009, 03:20 PM
crikey they were young buns x I must admit I am starting to worry about my frenchie bucks 3 of them are 3 next year and I love them sooooooo much would hate to lose one of them they mean the world to me x

Jack's-Jane
24-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I guess its the same as with all 'Giants' of any species- eg a Great Dane is unlikely to live beyond 7-8 yet a JRT can live to be 20.

BB Mommy
24-11-2009, 04:29 PM
My eldest is already 3.5yrs - I won't allow myself to think that there may only be a few years left:cry:

bluebunny
24-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I guess its the same as with all 'Giants' of any species- eg a Great Dane is unlikely to live beyond 7-8 yet a JRT can live to be 20.

Iknow someonethat had a great dane that lived untill 14:shock: Hope i have Lyric longer than 5 years:(

Jenova
24-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Selective breeding does awful things to animals. :(

DemiS
24-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Jazzywoo had a 9 year old conti :wave:

jazzywoo
24-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Jazzywoo had a 9 year old conti :wave:

it was 9 year old mini lop hun, my oldest conti was captain jack sparrow he was 6 nearly 7
however contis only live 3-4 your very lucky to get 5 out of them they usually die around 3-4 years :?
other giants live longer if your wanting a giant and wanting a few years out of it dont go for the conti unless your like me and just love them and no other giant will do
you will usually find they just drop dead as the heart fails its the breed its what they tend to do im afraid :(

DemiS
24-11-2009, 07:07 PM
it was 9 year old mini lop hun, my oldest conti was captain jack sparrow he was 6 nearly 7
however contis only live 3-4 your very lucky to get 5 out of them they usually die around 3-4 years :?
other giants live longer if your wanting a giant and wanting a few years out of it dont go for the conti unless your like me and just love them and no other giant will do
you will usually find they just drop dead as the heart fails its the breed its what they tend to do im afraid :(

Sorry, I thought it was the conti, I remember you talking about a 9 year old rabbit and old conti's :oops::lol:

Jaysmonkey
24-11-2009, 07:13 PM
My old conti Bob lived to 6years of age :wave:

Bunnyaddict
24-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Our Jemima (british giant) was 5 years old when she died of a heart attack at the vets in January :cry: It broke mine & Mark's hearts to lose her :cry:

Now we've got Emily who's 2 years old & Archie who we think is about 1 year - 18 months (he was found as a stray). I was only saying to Mark last night that I really fear we won't have Emily long, due to her breed & being so big :cry: I so hope I'm wrong.

Neither of them overeat, but Emily has always been poor on her back legs - we think due to being confined to a hutch too much before we got her :( Although they're better than they were, she's not as good on them as a lot of conti's & therefore doesn't exercise as much as she should :cry:

coco1200
24-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I lost my girl to an enlarged heart, which caused statis. Totally down to her giant breed. :cry: Tried getting into contact with her breeder, warning her and she didn't want to know, completley ignored my texts and emails. :roll:

However, I don't want to believe that giant breeds live shorter lives. I know two 10 year old great danes, and two 8 year old great danes who are doing spiffigly well. I would hate to think that my two only have 2 years left with me. I think the ones who live shorter lives are poorly bred. bred for one purpose, and thats their size, and nothing about their health is taken into account.

Noisette now, I suspect suffers from joint problems, so I am willing to believe she *may* just be athritic in the future. Oscar has NEVER seen a vet in his life, apart from jabs :wave:

Jack's-Jane
24-11-2009, 07:19 PM
After poor Libby's dreadful start in life I consider every day I have with her a bonus xx

Carrie14
24-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Do you remember the thread a while ago, it was from a breeder of big buns and they told me not to get one as they don't live long. I will try to find it for you now:wave:

Amy & Amber
24-11-2009, 07:57 PM
After poor Libby's dreadful start in life I consider every day I have with her a bonus xx

Same with Noel he will be 6 in January :love:
He doesnt come out of the shed for a run anymore whereas Amber is 3 and she is a spring chicken.... :lol:

Maizey
24-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Willow was 5 and a half when he died and was fit and healthy until this horrible disease my bunnies have took his life:cry::cry:
My other babies have got to no more than three when this evil illness has taken them:cry::cry:

Carrie14
24-11-2009, 08:11 PM
This is it I think: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=3362804#post3362804

Its on post 274. They seem to be saying they are prone to heart defects:(

purplebumble
24-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I lost my beloved almost igant sized french lop doe willow in oct 08 she would have been two at christmas that year. suspected embolism from her dying throes description the vet said.

I haver had bertie my smaller frenchie weighing inat 5kg for three years now..and hes five..and i was told by his owner that they can live to 10 despite the rule of they live 3 to 5 yrs max. she said it all comes down to hearts....they have a bigger body with a small heart like a normal bun..so its bound to go that way.

however i recall two frenchie some while back now for rehoming and one was 9 and one was 10!!

its all down to genetics...environment....diet..infections that could poss damage heart etc.

i keep saying i know berties prob only got anohter year if were lucky but then i ocul dbe so wrong..i hope so.....i will be so lost iwthout him.....so will many people who have got to know him..let laone bif his wifey.

with all the love and attention at your hands jane...anythings possible....;)

jenny s
24-11-2009, 10:11 PM
my flemish was 7 years and 10 months old when she went to the bridge last december :love:

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n398/jennysandercock/000_0002.jpg

jazzywoo
24-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Do you remember the thread a while ago, it was from a breeder of big buns and they told me not to get one as they don't live long. I will try to find it for you now:wave:

ita becuase giants have small hearts which is then as the rabbits bigger put under alot of strain and they just drop down dead
however im not sure why a breeder would tell someone not to get a giant giants are amazing and make fanastic pets

Bunnyaddict
24-11-2009, 10:46 PM
ita becuase giants have small hearts which is then as the rabbits bigger put under alot of strain and they just drop down dead
however im not sure why a breeder would tell someone not to get a giant giants are amazing and make fanastic pets

I completely agree - although I know giants potentially have shorter life spans than smaller buns, I don't think I could ever not have a giant bun now. There's just something so different & special about them - in fact I'm sure Emily & Archie are the dogs I can't have in disguise! :shock::lol::love:

antigone
24-11-2009, 10:50 PM
I completely agree - although I know giants potentially have shorter life spans than smaller buns, I don't think I could ever not have a giant bun now. There's just something so different & special about them - in fact I'm sure Emily & Archie are the dogs I can't have in disguise! :shock::lol::love:

What about Noah?:( Don't you like him anymore?:( Is it because he's not a giant?:shock:

Bunnyaddict
24-11-2009, 10:53 PM
What about Noah?:( Don't you like him anymore?:( Is it because he's not a giant?:shock:

:shock: Of course I do, Noah is my little baby :love::love::love: It's a good job he's not a conti though, as there wouldn't be enough room for me in the bed at night! :shock::lol:

antigone
24-11-2009, 10:55 PM
:shock: Of course I do, Noah is my little baby :love::love::love: It's a good job he's not a conti though, as there wouldn't be enough room for me in the bed at night! :shock::lol:

For you and the cats and Noah and Mark:shock::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Snowberry
24-11-2009, 10:56 PM

Denise we dont see enough pictures of Noah. In fact I dont think I have ever seen a picture of him! :(

Bunnyaddict
24-11-2009, 10:57 PM
For you and the cats and Noah and Mark:shock::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know :shock::lol: I know I'd be pushed onto the floor in favour of them all! :roll:

antigone
24-11-2009, 11:05 PM
I know :shock::lol: I know I'd be pushed onto the floor in favour of them all! :roll:

You still haven't realised: it's THEIR bed! :lol::shock:

ETA: I agree with Snowberry: we need more photos of Noah:love::love::love:

rambo_barbie
25-11-2009, 12:31 AM
I have a Giant Papillon, Dexter. The breeder said she is the only one in the world who breeds tri-colour ones now. Not sure if i believe this, but i don't care, he's unique to me.

The last time I had a rabbit was ten years ago. I got her from a pet shop... they had all these black and brown stripy things.. they were fashionable and very cute... and in the middle was this grey lump that no-one wanted. so, I took her home, called her smokey and loved her very very much. She died on christmas eve... I was 14. I loved that rabbit, she taught me so much... followed me round the room, looked for me if i left and responded to her name. Thank goodness she couldn't talk with everything I used to tell her...

Dexter is my first Giant, my first buck and my first housebun. He's teaching me things too! Such a character... I love him to bits despite the fact that he's nuts (maybe thats why I love him). And now I have a giant, I will always have them :-)

I want Dex to live forever.... but he can't. And I probably won't have as long with him as I had with Smokey... but we have cuddles everyday... he headbutts me every morning for his breakfast and runs round my feet in excitement. He licks my pockets, licks my OH's hands and if you stop with the nose rubs... you get nibbled. Every second I spend with him makes me smile... however long that may be.

So don't worry about how long Giants live... I think, providing you put the effort in, the joy they bring far outweighs the sorrow you feel. if you can honestly say they've had a good life and you've had joy from them- what more could anyone want? That goes for all animals (maybe not spiders... or armadillos)

Long live the Giant Bunnies!

kayj
25-11-2009, 02:03 AM
I have a British that is 7yrs old and her partner is coming up to 6:D

Happy Hopping
25-11-2009, 07:52 AM

Adele's Continental Giant are 10+ yr. old. Ask her what the trick is.

My bridge bun Little Happy was 4.5 yr. old. AT the time, I know nothing about rabbits, and neither does the "vet" that I use. I am convinced Little Happy would have live a lot longer if it were for the ignorance of my vet as well as my lack of experience of the diet of rabbits.

coco1200
25-11-2009, 08:32 AM
I have a Giant Papillon, Dexter. The breeder said she is the only one in the world who breeds tri-colour ones now. Not sure if i believe this, but i don't care, he's unique to me.

Please post some photos... I have 2 yellow paps and I would love to see yours :love::love::love::love:

jazzywoo
25-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Adele's Continental Giant are 10+ yr. old. Ask her what the trick is.

My bridge bun Little Happy was 4.5 yr. old. AT the time, I know nothing about rabbits, and neither does the "vet" that I use. I am convinced Little Happy would have live a lot longer if it were for the ignorance of my vet as well as my lack of experience of the diet of rabbits.

are yo sure its a conti and not a conit cross conti crosses do live longer like the british etc pure bred contis just dont live that long :? i show and breed contis and they live 5 years max as ive said before its their hearts they grow to 2.5 years and then their heart cant take it any more so the die young just like giant dogs they do have a short life span :roll:

coco1200
25-11-2009, 03:24 PM
are yo sure its a conti and not a conit cross conti crosses do live longer like the british etc pure bred contis just dont live that long :? i show and breed contis and they live 5 years max as ive said before its their hearts they grow to 2.5 years and then their heart cant take it any more so the die young just like giant dogs they do have a short life span :roll:

I mean to say this in the least offensive way, but it may just be down to the genetic makeup of the rabbits you are breeding. :?

DemiS
25-11-2009, 05:37 PM

A tri-coloured papillon is basically a Rhinelander. There are a few breeders of Giant Papillons, and a few Rhinelanders in this country, and even more over in the USA.

You can get papillons in tri-colour though. Judy le Marchant breeds them according to F&F.

He is stunning though, I love them as a breed!

willowholly
25-11-2009, 05:54 PM

I was told that about french lops & Will lived until she was almost 7years.

RubyTed
25-11-2009, 06:05 PM
I was told that the average is 4/5. Ted's genes seem to be good as all his family live to about 7ish!! (on average). He's a large Frenchie. (over 6kg)

jazzywoo
25-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I mean to say this in the least offensive way, but it may just be down to the genetic makeup of the rabbits you are breeding. :?

no its not my rabbits are from the best lines imported from holland and germany
i have also had rabbits from other lines too all lived 4-5 years it is the life span of a conti ant breeder of contis will tell you this

RubyTed
25-11-2009, 06:52 PM
no its not my rabbits are from the best lines imported from holland and germany
i have also had rabbits from other lines too all lived 4-5 years it is the life span of a conti ant breeder of contis will tell you this

I agree! I truly believe that larger breeds have shorter life spans, no matter what their lines are (my two are from amazing lines)...but they are the most amazing buns, that doesn't put me off keeping them!!

Raven Rexs
25-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Im afraid that with the Large Breeds Such as Contis thier life span was not in the minds of ppl that selectivly bred them when they first came about it was in the interest of one thing 'Food' and rabbit meat is at it tenderous at 5mths also the meat to bone ratio is better, therefore the rabbit was bred to be as big as possiable at five mths so most didnt live past that so contis getting past 4-5 is rare usually because thier Hearts and Respitory System are under stain with such a large body.
With the Large Lop rabbits alot more thought went into them as they were mainly bred for thier looks.

Rae033
25-11-2009, 08:20 PM
We have a friend who's flemish is about to turn 8! Hes a indoor flemish and has just been raised like any other house bun! Hes only had one visit to the vet and that was when he was nuetered, which im sure helped his long life :)

I hope my two flemishs live that long!:D

rambo_barbie
26-11-2009, 12:38 AM
WOW!! he's a Rhinelander! It says on one website tho that they only grow to eight pounds... that's not a giant. But dex is eight months old, very slender and weighs in at 5.75kg.. which is about 12lb i think. So is he a giant? Where can i go for more info on the breed?

I got dex from judy- but was told he was a giant papillon, and that she was the only breeder left who bred the tri colours, apparently there was dutch bloke, but he got bored...

Anyone who can give me any more info on the breed or details of others that breed them.. I would be so grateful! Is there a club in the UK? i can find loads of American clubs... but non in the UK.

P.s just posted some pics of Dexter... they're a bit old now... he's bigger and now lives indoors... but you get the idea. The thread is called Dexter...tada!

Happy Hopping
26-11-2009, 01:18 AM

When she post that mesg., she said it's continental, the word "cross" wasn't mention on that thread. We can do a search or ask her

coco1200
26-11-2009, 08:42 AM
WOW!! he's a Rhinelander! It says on one website tho that they only grow to eight pounds... that's not a giant. But dex is eight months old, very slender and weighs in at 5.75kg.. which is about 12lb i think. So is he a giant? Where can i go for more info on the breed?

I got dex from judy- but was told he was a giant papillon, and that she was the only breeder left who bred the tri colours, apparently there was dutch bloke, but he got bored...

Anyone who can give me any more info on the breed or details of others that breed them.. I would be so grateful! Is there a club in the UK? i can find loads of American clubs... but non in the UK.

P.s just posted some pics of Dexter... they're a bit old now... he's bigger and now lives indoors... but you get the idea. The thread is called Dexter...tada!

oh my god :love::love::love::love::love:

I just looked up a Rhinelander, and they don't look as sleek and thin as a papillon... they look more chunky. Dexter looks very much like my Noisette... the face shape and the body type!!

jazzywoo
26-11-2009, 01:39 PM
When she post that mesg., she said it's continental, the word "cross" wasn't mention on that thread. We can do a search or ask her

just thought id ask hun no offence ment its just we had a conti cross british giant and she went to a petting farm near to us where a few of out retired does have gone to and maxine is still there the crosses do tend to live a lot longer than the pure bred contis to be honest i with contis would live longer but as it has been poited out they were originally bred for food so life span was not high on the breed standard as it was not required :?
at he end of the day contis bring so much pleasure to their owners we just enjoy the time with have with them but if you are a person who is wanting a giant and a god life span go for any of the other giant breeds as they do last alot longer british giants especially ;)

rambo_barbie
26-11-2009, 10:17 PM
HAHA!!! Maybe I have a confused bunny??? he thinks he's a fruit bat anywho. Not really bothered what he is, he's a cool bean. :-)

Anyone know of a giant rabbit club tho? or even anyone who has a giant rabbit that lives near to me? would like to make some giant rabbit obsessed friends. but the closest thing i've found so far is a small dog. They don't tend to have the ears tho....

karen1980
27-11-2009, 08:18 AM
HAHA!!! Maybe I have a confused bunny??? he thinks he's a fruit bat anywho. Not really bothered what he is, he's a cool bean. :-)

Anyone know of a giant rabbit club tho? or even anyone who has a giant rabbit that lives near to me? would like to make some giant rabbit obsessed friends. but the closest thing i've found so far is a small dog. They don't tend to have the ears tho....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thats funny!! :D

Ive got a giant cross and she's 3 and the love of my life.. oops sorry and hubby to be! :oops::lol:

rambo_barbie
27-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Lol, my hubby to be knows he comes second to the rabbit... he even bought some furry bunny ears in an effort to get attention. But its creepy when he licks my forehead... somehow okay when Dexter licks my face tho...

gemmam
01-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Bit late to this thread but my british giant x frenchie is 5 1/2 yrs old now. Her littermate died at 4 and a bit years :( Their breeder hoped they would perhaps be a bit more hardy and long lived due to being crosses but I'm so so sure as it seems to be the heart size that's their issue. My girl is definitely looking older and spends most of her free range time just laying about nibbling grass instead of running around!

DemiS
13-12-2009, 05:56 PM

I've only just realised that you can get tri colour giant paps :p Never heard of them before. I'll find out the differences if you bear with me ;)

Both breeds would be under the Rare Varietys Rabbit Club, there is a link on the BRC site

Tinsel
13-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Captain Carrot is 1 and a half. He free ranges in the garden all day long, and is in a shed at nights..hopefully the extra exercise will help him live longer than average for his breed? :cry:

Bunny Hugga
14-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Oh i had 2 french lop bucks who lived for 6 and a half and 7 years. Even my vet was surprised how old they were when 'the time came' :cry: x