• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Continental/British/Flemish Giants

I was told they are 'lucky' to make it to 5 :cry:

Libby is 4 next year............

:( I've never had much luck with my larger bunnies,I've had 2 frenchies in the past , Blossom died at 7 months and Bella was only just over a year ...then of course there was Ziggy (british giant x french lop) he died at 10 weeks :(

crikey they were young buns x I must admit I am starting to worry about my frenchie bucks 3 of them are 3 next year and I love them sooooooo much would hate to lose one of them they mean the world to me x

I guess its the same as with all 'Giants' of any species- eg a Great Dane is unlikely to live beyond 7-8 yet a JRT can live to be 20.

My eldest is already 3.5yrs - I won't allow myself to think that there may only be a few years left:cry:

Jazzywoo had a 9 year old conti :wave:

it was 9 year old mini lop hun, my oldest conti was captain jack sparrow he was 6 nearly 7
however contis only live 3-4 your very lucky to get 5 out of them they usually die around 3-4 years :?
other giants live longer if your wanting a giant and wanting a few years out of it dont go for the conti unless your like me and just love them and no other giant will do
you will usually find they just drop dead as the heart fails its the breed its what they tend to do im afraid :(

it was 9 year old mini lop hun, my oldest conti was captain jack sparrow he was 6 nearly 7
however contis only live 3-4 your very lucky to get 5 out of them they usually die around 3-4 years :?
other giants live longer if your wanting a giant and wanting a few years out of it dont go for the conti unless your like me and just love them and no other giant will do
you will usually find they just drop dead as the heart fails its the breed its what they tend to do im afraid :(

Sorry, I thought it was the conti, I remember you talking about a 9 year old rabbit and old conti's :oops::lol:

Our Jemima (british giant) was 5 years old when she died of a heart attack at the vets in January :cry: It broke mine & Mark's hearts to lose her :cry:

Now we've got Emily who's 2 years old & Archie who we think is about 1 year - 18 months (he was found as a stray). I was only saying to Mark last night that I really fear we won't have Emily long, due to her breed & being so big :cry: I so hope I'm wrong.

Neither of them overeat, but Emily has always been poor on her back legs - we think due to being confined to a hutch too much before we got her :( Although they're better than they were, she's not as good on them as a lot of conti's & therefore doesn't exercise as much as she should :cry:

I lost my girl to an enlarged heart, which caused statis. Totally down to her giant breed. :cry: Tried getting into contact with her breeder, warning her and she didn't want to know, completley ignored my texts and emails. :roll:

However, I don't want to believe that giant breeds live shorter lives. I know two 10 year old great danes, and two 8 year old great danes who are doing spiffigly well. I would hate to think that my two only have 2 years left with me. I think the ones who live shorter lives are poorly bred. bred for one purpose, and thats their size, and nothing about their health is taken into account.

Noisette now, I suspect suffers from joint problems, so I am willing to believe she *may* just be athritic in the future. Oscar has NEVER seen a vet in his life, apart from jabs :wave:

Back