• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

naughty rabbit! Why?

vickyplum

Warren Scout
Hiya,

My 1 year old doe was spayed last friday and has recovered well, she is back to eating everything in site,drinking and being as active as usual which is great...

BUT she has gone back to her old naughty ways, she has been biting the sofa, tipping her litter tray over, getting behind the tv and trying to bite the wires and she has bit my boyfriend twice!

The last time she did these behaviours was when she was a baby and she soon learnt that it was bad and stopped doing it.

Whats happened? anybody got a clue?

Thanx, vicky :D

She may be a bit upset about being caged and taken to the vet. Hopefully she will calm down once she forgives you :)

Hi,

Other people may have oither suggestions but I can tell you that the same sort of thing happened to me. Bob was neutered and it all went very well. A week later however we came home to find beans from our foot poof EVERYWHERE, as well as the sky cables chewed through with white plastic and copper wiring strewn all over the living room. :shock:

Bob has always had a random scrabble and pick at the carpet but nothing as bad as that - he'd never even been near the wires (covered with a cable tidy) before.

We asked our vet and we all agreed it must be a hormone surge or something. He was a bit naughty for a couple of days and then went back to 'normal'. Hopefully this will happen for you too.

Thanks for the reply! Hope your right because shes a little monster at the moment and with her being a house rabbit its so destructive to my furniture. My boyfriend says she is spoilt! How dare he !? lol

I guess she is... but i feel guilty about the op still. Maybe she is seeking attention?

Although being spayed she will still have hormone issues for a couple of weeks until they die down, she should calm soon....:D

update: ruby subdued help!

I have an update on Ruby, rather than being cheeky she is now really subdued but is still eating. She has been under the sofa for 2 hours and wont come out!

Im really really worried is this normal? I noticed a urine stain as well?
I managed to get her out gave her some food and shes eaten it but gone back again!?:(

Mine sleep during the day, so her under the couch seems normal. Is she eating and pooing normal. Is she in a cage? For how long?

Rabbits will chew wires that aren't covered and some will chew couches. Mine likes piping on my couch, which is really annoying. Can you put a throw over the couch.

Yeah she is eating and pooing fine, She was asleep but I havent known her sleep for that long to be honest during the day. Today I let her out for 4 hours and now she is back in her cage and looks quite relaxed to be honest.

Really strange that she went from being a mischief to diappearing for 2 hours to sleep... she was also thumping though which i know means danger for a rabbit?

Maybe its just all part of getting over the op?

Hana nipped me a few times after she was spayed, she also kept hopping on to my lap then digging and biting my clothes. I think it was her expressing her anger at me for putting her through the whole thing.
She's happier now, almost back to her normal self. She was running circuits around her cage earlier.

Also my other rabbit thumps his feet when he's annoyed, so maybe she's showing she's unhappy at the moment. He also whines when he's unhappy, but then he makes a strange buzzing noise when he's happy :shock:

Is she due back at the vet for a check up soon? Our check up was about a week after the op, it really puts your mind at ease.

By the way, she is utterly gorgeous and your signature is brilliant!

:D

Is she in a dog crate or cage? If you are worried about her being destructive, she might be better suited to a permanently opened cage put in a fenced off area. This will allow her to have 24/7 access to moving around, than being confined to a cage, and also your wires and furniture is safe.

Thanks for the replies guys! Ruby is in a cage and only comes out when we are home, i think she is objecting to this at the moment. Since my post her behaviour has actually got worse! she has broken lots of stuff in her cage. She has bitten my partner loads.

Im worried she will stay like this what a nitemare if she does! She was so loving before the op and now shes so naughty!:censored:

Back