• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my rabbit is strange!!!! lol

amme

Warren Scout
we built him a lovely shed the weekend so he lots of room to hop around and play and all he wants to is stay in his hutch all day long:(.

he comes out of hutch for food then goes back in again. I take him out of the shed for a hop around the garden but no sooner have i turned my back he has hoped back in the shed and into his hutch again :shock:

I have left his hutch door open today and the shed door open to see what he does- luckily i can see the shed from the longe as i am sat on the sofa, si i can see if he pops out of there or not!!!

Do you have stimulation for him in the shed? Different and interesting things? How do you feed him?

I feed him by putting his food in his bowl and leaving it in the shed part so he ahs to pop down to get to it. he has cabbage, lettuce, cucumber and spinach today. He also has a pile of hay next to his food bowl.

He has got a little chew toy in there which is log roll with seeds in there, but thats it.

Maybe its worth starting to hide his food to provide him with more stimulation, and also getting more toys so that coming out and into the shed is fun and interesting for him.

Has he always been like this?

mmmm i will give that a try.
well this is the first time he as been a shed. WE have adopted him and his previous owner had him in a normal hutch with a small open run around for him to hop around if he wanted to on a wet forest floor.
but then when we had him he was in his hutch until we let him out for the occasional run in the garden.
I have left the shed door open now since 10am and he still hasnt hopped outside!!!!!

Aw, he's still very new to it, and so is staying in his safe place, which is the hutch. I would suggest trying a lot of stimulation and using food to help him explore. Time will also help him to become more settled and feel safer there.

o.k thanks. I will go and put his food bowl in his hutch as i noticed just when i went down to him that he hasnt eaten any of it, So i'll leave some scattered about on the shed floor for him to forage for too. Thankyou.

I may go to pets at home and get him a tunnel to play in LOL

o.k thanks. I will go and put his food bowl in his hutch as i noticed just when i went down to him that he hasnt eaten any of it, So i'll leave some scattered about on the shed floor for him to forage for too. Thankyou.

I may go to pets at home and get him a tunnel to play in LOL

You don't need to use a bowl to feed, you could make a transition and teach him how to scatter feed and maybe start in his hutch and just outside his hutch and then spread it wider as he becomes safer there.

You can use a variety of things that are free and cheap for stimulation (things like cardboard boxes-sellotape removed), so don't feel you have to buy him stuff (although obviously you can if you want :lol:).

If you have concerns about his health (and there may be some there), don't hesitate to contact your vet.

Sorry he hasnt made the most of the shed yet but I am sure he will in time. Maybe he is still getting used to the move and being somewhere new?

I agree with Sky-O's advice and I hope that your bunny is soon fully enjoying his shed and run. :wave:

Sounds like he moght be loenly! Have you thought of maybe getting him a companion? Buns are social creatures and get depressed when they live by themselves.

Agree with all the above and would add that they do seem to be fairy inactive during the main part of the day but have more of a playtime early in the morning and at dusk.

Mine have an aviary. They tend to stay out of the hutch which is in there but sit around on a plastic kids chair they have in there. I would put lots of trays of hay around and boxes as toys and lookout points, hide some pellets/dried herbs/fresh herbs/apple tree leaves etc in the boxes and amongst the hay to encourage natural foraging too.

Mine also have their carrier and a football and apple branches to play in/with/nibble and chew!

thats great thankyou, we have gto an old shoe box upstairs somewhere and we are getting him a friend on saturday.

If he was in a small hutch previously, he probably doesnt know what to do with all the space, bless him :love:

I would scatter a tiny amount of food around the opening of the hutch and then shake the tub as you go round the garden. He will probably get used to the sound meaning food and will soon come running after you. Just has o build up his confidance.
I also feed my two by hand, and they scramble all over me. So if you sit outside and just hand fed him, he will gain trust in you and outside aswell.

There are some excellent photos on here aswell, on peoples setups of sheds.
Il try and find the link. :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66961
Here you are. You should be able to get some ideas to add to your shed.

Last edited:
It's brilliant your getting another bun to keep him company!! :thumb: Whatever you do don't put them straight in together though! :shock: There are loads of threads on how to bond bunnies on here if you need advice.

Back