• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bald rabbits grr help

steph1705

Warren Scout
hi everyone
i havent been on here for a while but my rabbits have a problem. i went out on sunday and they both have bald patches i dont know what they have done,i have been told it could be mites and to bath them in some pink powder i bought yesterday. here are some pics of them the white is frosty (male) the grey and white is star (female both are 'done' and have been together since feb 09.
CIMG3316.jpg

CIMG3331.jpg

CIMG3332.jpg

CIMG3319.jpg

I feel terrible because i didnt see much of any of them last week as i worked all week and i just watered and fed due to dark nights :oops::(

Have they seen a vet? If not I suggest you get an appointment for a confimation of the diagnosis. You will then be given Ivermectin either in a tube to apply yourself or they will be given an injection. Both are effective, just depends on the vet. :wave:

I agree, it could be anything. A flea allergy or they've just found a new place to hide and are rubbing the fur off squeezing in. Plus the vets can always give you better medication. Hope they improve quickly :)

Elvis had something like that happen to him, my vet said it looked like my other rabbit had cleaned him too hard when something was there. I had to put cream on it twice a day and now his hair has started growing back.

is it on just the top of the back? That could be a result of humping! This summer my neutered female humped the male (also neutered) so much he got a bald patch with a few scabs/scratches.
Best to check out its not mites etc but if you've noticed them humping, then this could explain it.

is it on just the top of the back? That could be a result of humping! This summer my neutered female humped the male (also neutered) so much he got a bald patch with a few scabs/scratches.
Best to check out its not mites etc but if you've noticed them humping, then this could explain it.

I agree. It's so important to exclude skin disease at the vets, as a first step.
Thumper has made very similar "lesions" on his toy "humping rabbit". :roll:

I would say mites if it were at the base of the tail or lower down the back but I think the buns might be to blame here.... Lol. Get it checked out in case it is an allergy though! :)

Back