• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dentals

Rabbers

Mama Doe
My Ozzie is in for his very first dental today at 7years old. It's for the right side of the molars - they don't meet up anymore and so one edge has grown and he was off his food yesterday :cry:

How often do buns need dentals? And apart from encouraging him to eat stalky hay, greens etc to wear his teeth down is there anything I can do to prevent him needing more dentals or frequent dentals in the future?

Thanks! Keep your fingers crossed for Ozzie :wave::love:

Poor Ozzie, sending lots of vibes for his dental today. xxx

I think each bun is different, so it's hard to put a time scale on dentals. Encouraging hay consumption and anything that will wear his teeth down it the best preventative though.

Bubbles needed her first dental last Feb when she would have been only about 10 mths old but hasn't needed one since. My bridge bun, Reggie, had two dentals once he got to 6 yrs old and they were about 6 mths apart. He sadly went to the bridge a couple of days after the 2nd though, so I don't know how it would have panned out long term. :(:(

I'm afraid I don't know much about dentals (but will no doubt need to in the future), I just wanted to say good luck to Ozzie, I hope it all goes well. :)

Thanks for the good wishes! He must be in having it now or he might be recovering....

Great to hear that Bubbles hasn't needed another dental since Feb. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Ozzie follows that :D Very sorry to hear about Reggie :cry:

Sending Ozzie lots of good luck vibes :wave:. I have one dental bun Archie who needs dentals every 5 weeks at the moment :( And Fudge has had two dentals in 8 months and he is around 7 and a half years old. It does depend on the bun and it doesn't matter how much hay Archie eats he still needs dentals at set times. Providing a selection of different hays and reducing pellets might help.

Loads of good luck vibes for lil' Ozzie.

I have one dental bunny - Penny Pocket. She had her first dental in March this year and then was due her next one three months later. I then drastically cut down her pellets and now she eats LOADS more hay. It has now been six months and she now needs another dental so she has gone double the amount of time between dentals. So I would gradually cut down on pellets and hay up and loads of root like veggies like suede.

I really hope the dental has gone well.

The time between dentals really depends on the type and severity of the problem.

I have 9 active dental buns (i.e. buns who have had at least one dental) and 3 who will at some point in the future need a dental (we know they have a spur/spurs, just waiting to see if they cause a problem).

The times mine go in varies greatly, I have one who did 11 months, one who did 14 weeks but since having a girlfriend has not needed some since June, and other who have had one or two many months apart. My buns are lucky in that currently their dental problems are not severe, but as they age the time bwteeen dentals is most likely to reduce as the teeth worsen (which does happen with age, I believe). It will be a case of just watching and seeing when he next shows signs of having a problem; hopefully that will be many months down the line.

Sending lots of vibes for little Ozzie.

My Herbie is a dental bun and has had to have dentals every 5 or 6 weeks since he was approx 18 months old. He was 5 years old this month. :D

Herbie is the same as Foofoo's Archie, no matter how much hay he eats, he still has to have dentals at set times. Herbie's teeth just don't align properly so don't wear down evenly.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it then and try to find some nice yummy hay that he'll gobble!
I'll definitely cut down on the pellets a bit too.

The vet still hasn't rung and he went in jut before half eight this morning. :cry: I'm sure he's fine tho and didn't have it done straight away.

Why not call to find out how he is doing?

Some vets surgeries have different procedures, so they may be waiting for you to call them or something.

Just rang and he's not eating on his own yet - they're syringe feeding him. They're going to keep him in overnight. :cry: They said they'll ring tomorrow :cry:

poor old thing:cry:

Aw, he got through the op which is the first hurdle.

Mine never eat at the vets, they send them home as soon as they have come round and then they eat later in the evening here, so try not to worry. He is hopefully getting great care and will be back with your tomorrow :)

The vets rang this morning and said that he was eating a little more and that if i rang at 3pm he'll probably be ready to go home then. I'm going to make sure that he comes home then - he'll eat more at home I'm sure.

Glad that Ozzie is starting to eat again.

He'll feel much better once he's back home and will no doubt make up for lost munching time. :love:

Glad that Ozzie is starting to eat again.

He'll feel much better once he's back home and will no doubt make up for lost munching time. :love:

Tracy!!! Haven't seen you around in ages! How is Herbie? Did you ever get him bonded wth Sugar?

I brought him home last night and he is eating definitely - greens, parsnip and some dried bread cubes (his fave treat), but thats it and all the stalks from the greens have been left from last night and he doesn't seem to have touched hay. He has a mucky bum today (not the worst I've ever seen tho - obviously from eating just veg and too much 'treat' food like the parsnips.. but i'm just glad he's eatinf something). Luckily he is spending a lot of time cleaning himself so thats a good sign... but he's just not eating normally still. Is this normal?

Do buns with dental problems prefer to eat muesli rabbit food or pelleted food? He normally eats a mix of SS Mature and Original. But he just won't touch it. He just ate a flaked pea from the hamster mix, so do u think he'll prefer muesli? Is it easier to eat muesli than pellets?

Thanks x

Each rabbit is different.

What kind of things is he willing to eat today?

Is he on any pain meds?

You could try soaking his pellets in hot water, and leave them to cool, this will form a pellet slurry which might be easier for him to eat.

Just to let u know he's eating fine now! he recovered over the weekend and is even eating hay now- i cut the pellets down! thanks for all ur help! x

Back