• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise on homechecking

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
I'm doing a homecheck for the first time on Sunday, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. :wave:
I've already seen plenty of photos of the set up, so it's just seeing for myself really.

As well as all the obvious questions (ie what happens to buns when the owner goes on holiday, access to vets, do they have 10 Greyhounds in tehe garden? etc), overall do you get the impression the know what they are doing and they are serious on the commitment side of it?

Have a nice friendly chat with them and you'll find out a lot about them. Good luck:)

When I did a home check I was told to go in and decide whether I would let my rabbits live there. Makes sense really as its a good way to decide how you feel about the set up and possible new owners. Dont be afraid to ask questions either. Good luck I hope it turns out to bbe the perfect bunny home. :D

Apart from checking the obvious things I would usually see if there are aware of stasis, fly strike etc..but more often than not gut feeling counts for a hell of a lot.

edit to add....yes make sure you get tea ;) first on my list :lol::lol:

Last edited:
It's a good idea to give any other animals they have a quick once over to check they are healthy. It's also good to ask what treatment they intend to give as routine e.g. vaccinations worming etc

I would ALWAYS suggest you take pictures of anything relevant (the accommodation, a current rabbit/animal if they have one-if relevant) because then there can be no discrepancies.

If you want, I can show you the forms I use for the RSPCA which might give you ideas, and you can then adapt it to fit what the rescue has asked of you too.

Apart from checking the obvious things I would usually see if there are aware of stasis, fly strike etc..but more often than not gut feeling counts for a hell of a lot.

I know for tomorrow then! ;)

*goes off to read up on stasis and fly strike....*
(just kidding obviously)

As well as the actual homecheck stuff, one very important consideration, above all else - your personal safety. Do you/the rescue know these people? Are you going alone? If so, can someone tag along with you? Let people know where you're going and when, take the same precautions you would when meeting any stranger - even if it's a forum member, just remember that anyone can buy an internet connection (don't mean this horribly against any members but just as general advice for everyone). I can't remember if it was someone on here or another forum I use, but I remember one lady had a few iffy encounters with homechecks or collecting unwanted pets, one being going to collect a rabbit and arriving at the flat to find a bunch of men sitting around, one of them trying to shut the door on the male friend who'd accompanied this lady :shock: :?

Obviously if you know the person well and trust them, ignore all that :lol:

Last edited:
thanks for your input guys :wave:
What's happening is that as I don't drive, she is coming down to meet Bea and pick me up, then she's driving me back to her house (ascot) and I'll then be getting the train down.
I've already quizzed her thoroughly by email, and she asked all the right questions as well if you know what I mean.
Her boy is being neutered on Friday, so all being well, Bea should be off to her home on the 12th.
the photos she's given me are fantastic, this is the discription she gave me:

The garden is approx 10mx10m (36' x36') - and bunny proofed as much as poss!

The shed is a bunny house, we have meshed the windows so there is always fresh air and cut a whole in the side of the shed (at floor level) so Diesel can lay by it and look out.

We have put his large hutch in the shed (with a ramp up to it) so he has somewhere to hide underneath. He generally uses this to poo/wee in (his litter trays are in there). But he also likes to sit up on top of it.
We also put an old wooden chair in the shed as he likes to sit under the dinning chairs in our house. He uses the chair to jump up onto the cupboards and on top of the hutch.

He has a large cage run outside (in the shady side of the garden), but he doesn't use this much, as we let him have the run of the garden. We had him in there lot as a baby, so he still likes to go in there (think he feels safe in it)

We have had power run to the shed so he has a light on a timer.
We can put a heater out there if its really cold. And someone recently suggested leaving a radio on for him, so we will be doing that too.

She also said that he is inside whenever they are home. she works just down the road so checks on him at lunch.

What do you think?

another question you can ask is 'does she know how to bond? and if not you can advise'

the first home check is always the worst in that it sounds like your going down a list, once you have done several you can include your questions in general chit chat!!!! an art form I must admit!!!!!

her set up does sound fantastic though

I agree with Bens Mum re your personal safety. Years ago a rescue asked me to be a homechecker and I refused for that very reason.

When is the homecheck taking place? I live near Ascot so could sit outside and make sure you leave OK if I'm not at work.

p.m. me if you want my stalking skills :lol:

*goes to check cupboard for tea bags* :lol::lol::lol:

I got cake when i homechecked you ;)

I think you just need to makesure you are happy with the accomdation size and security. Ask about daily routines and just get a general feel for how the bun will live, its a good excuse to talk about bunnies :D

I got cake when i homechecked you ;)

I think you just need to makesure you are happy with the accomdation size and security. Ask about daily routines and just get a general feel for how the bun will live, its a good excuse to talk about bunnies :D

You did indeed :D :lol:
To be honest, I'm pretty happy with what she has told me, I just want to check to make sure for myself.......I don't think there is anything she HASN'T told me :shock:

It's definitely always worth checking because people talk a good talk, say what you want to hear, can't be trusted, just generally suck, etc, or something else. Very few people actually say it as it is :lol: (not that my home checking has made me cynical).

It's definitely always worth checking because people talk a good talk, say what you want to hear, can't be trusted, just generally suck, etc, or something else. Very few people actually say it as it is :lol: (not that my home checking has made me cynical).

I'm a cynical baggage too....working for insurance does that :lol:
Really hope it is everything she says, Bea will have a fab home :D

Back