• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Science Selective

elve_mk2

Banned
while I'm in rabbit chat with my guinea pig (and they shouldn't be housed with rabbits :shock:) I am reminded of a post I keep forgetting to make until I switch off my computer :roll:

Science selective bunny food! what is with this stuff recently? :evil: It's surely not THAT hard to set a nozzle on an extruding machine is it, or get a mix consistent every batch is it? It's like curly wurlys at the moment - I have to spend 5 mins breaking all the curly pellets up into straight ones, after Petunia hurt her mouth on a curly one and near enough went into stasis! :?

And the last bag I had - thank goodness I decanted it into a sack because at the bottom of the bag was a clump of MOULDY pellets :shock: You may want to check your batch number - it was a 3kg bag, batch no. 1147033, (BB 08/10) - luckily I bought 2 bags and the other was a different batch!

I've spent 3 weeks switching my bunnies to wagg premium pellets, because thankfully I had a bag in from sainsburys ages ago incase I ran out of SS - I'm not sure whether to switch over totally or if they might improve them next batch.

Ive had no problems Elve!! Mind you, my lot arent fussy and will eat the SS until it comes out of their ears :lol:

Yes I must say mine have been a bit curly lately. I have also seen a few white bits that look like a bit of fluff attatched to some

oh crikey...im in the process of switching Lily and Beebee over from Junior/dwarf excel to this stuff!!! Should I bother???

every bag is different! It drives me mad - I can't guage how much I'm giving them either when they're long and thin one minute then fat and curly the next - they've obviously got no quality control, so I worry about what else is wrong with them :?

oh crikey...im in the process of switching Lily and Beebee over from Junior/dwarf excel to this stuff!!! Should I bother???

excel causes sticky bums apparently (mine have never had it, but so I've heard) - so it probably is worth swapping. I barely give them a small handful twice a day each anyway so it's really more of a treat for them than food - I always worry I'm starving them but then remind myself that 'too little is better than too much' when it comes to pellets - even so I don't want them to eat mouldy ones!

The wagg premium looks OK, is easier to buy as it's sainsbury online, and they've not had any problems with eating half and half (I started off with just a few of the new pellets mixed in, then added more as the weeks went by - they'll be on pure wagg this week)

I'm just a bit wary of changing from SS as they've thrived on it for 4 years, but am thinking wagg can't be worse surely! I should write to supreme petfoods about it I guess - if I ever remember to!

I've noticed they are longer etc, I tend to buy the 10kg sacks though. Maybe write to them? Supreme are normally good with customers.. I asked for a sample of SS mature and they sent me a sample bag (that you would pay a couple quid for in the shop)

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to get a free bag of SS Elve :wave: Save the curly ones and send them off with a letter - bet you get a freebie back :D

Louie wouldn't touch SS so he is on Wagg, gets on really well on it, perfectly formed poo's too :D

On special offer in Sainsburys this week, £2.39 for 2.5kg :D

We've not long taken a delivery of Science Selective in different sized bags for the shop and so far no complaints. We use it here for our own buns too and there have been no problems with shape or signs of mould. However 3 bags of Excel that I'd bought previously were rotten when we opened them up and not only had fluff on but the fluff had turned a bluey grey:shock: We'll be sticking to SS, although the wagg optimum doesn't seem a bad alternative.

Louie wouldn't touch SS so he is on Wagg, gets on really well on it, perfectly formed poo's too :D

On special offer in Sainsburys this week, £2.39 for 2.5kg :D

Hooray! I have a bag of Wagg that someone left me a while ago. Mine are on SS so do you want it ? :D :wave:

It's been so damp recently maybe there's been a few damaged bags of all varieties floating around which have got some dampness in and ruined them.

My SS has been fine, no complaints from my lot!

I had the same problem with mould in a 10 kg bag last month and complained. Uk pet supplies sent me another bag really quickly and with no problems. Maybe there is a bad batch out there. I mix it with Wagg to cut the price down a bit - the buns do pick out the ss first - they do love it although they both taste disgusting to me:lol:

We changed over from Excel to SS and have had no problems so far but I'm sure if you complained they will send you another sack as they are quite a good company to deal with.

i find particularly NI that not many people buy SS, so they maybe often have oldish stock, now i have had a bag with some curly bits in it and know exactly what your talking about elve, they are awkard for the buns to eat, haven't come across mould but if it gets damp and left it has a tendency to go mouldy so maybe some damp got into the bag. might be worth writing to the company and complaining. might get something free out of it.

I've just found what look like fenugreek crunchies but white in my new bag of food. Have posted them back to Supreme and sifted through the bag to make sure there aren't any more.

read this with interest,I started a new bag on Friday morning,Friday teatime Loppy in stasis.got better over the weekend but wouldnt look at SS for 2 days but did eat lots of hay and some carrots and apples [other bunnies fine though:?]

Back