• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Question - Yawning?

tigerangel

Warren Veteran
Today my OH asked me this bunny question:-

"If mouth-breathing is a bad sign, then why do rabbits yawn?"

...I didn't have an answer for him, in fact I was totally stumped :shock: does anyone have the answer? (so I can go back downstairs and pretend I knew all along? :lol:)

I thought buns breathing through their mouths was a bad sign from reading these forums. Curious as to whether they actually take in breath when yawning or if it's just stretching their mouths, they always seem to do it during a general stretch after they've been sat/laid down relaxing for ages.

I thought buns breathing through their mouths was a bad sign from reading these forums. Curious as to whether they actually take in breath when yawning or if it's just stretching their mouths, they always seem to do it during a general stretch after they've been sat/laid down relaxing for ages.

It is, but I don't think yawning is the same as mouth breathing. Do you ever yawn instead of breathing?

This thread has made me yawn about 10 times .... :shock::shock:

Mouth breathing I guess is like panting .... a way of getting extra oxygen into the system because of a problem somewhere else... i.e breathing through the nose is no longer effective.

Yawning again adds a rush off oxygen and a push out of carbon dioxide and has a calming effect, but I think that although nobody really knows why we yawn the key is that its a one off.

So tell your O/H that mouth breathing is a continual act due to a respiratory disorder and yawning is an involuntary act that is not repetitive or based on illness.... sounds good to me anyway... must go and stop yawning !!! :lol::lol::lol:

Rimmi will have a big yawn and a big stretch after a nap. Its a simular reaction that we have, just stretching the muscles and getting a rush of air back to the brain to try and wake them up. Its fine, and normal.

Some bun owners dont get to see it. Those with house buns are more likely to see this behaviour.

Its dreadfully cute.

Back