• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amoxicillin?

Loosy

Warren Veteran
Hi, soooo Pipkin had his dental today and it absolutely fine. The only thing I'm worried about is that on the statement I have with the prices and everything an injection of "Amoxycare" is listed, which I'm assuming contains amoxicillin which I thought wasn't used in rabbits. In the copy of the price estimate I have from the appointment he had last week "Baytril" is listed instead which I know is ok.

I'm currently unsure as to whether it's just a mistake on the statement or if he actually had the amoxycare drug but if he was going to react negatively to it would I be seeing signs by now? He's done a load of good sized poos and seems really bright so at the moment he's fine I'm just a bit worried. :oops:

ETA: He would have been given the drug at about 12pm if that helps!

I believe Amoxicillin is ok but only as an injectable. I don't know if Amoxycare is the same or not.

Aaah, thank you. Such a relief, lol.
I don't know much about antibiotics in rabbits or even really why some are bad, I just remembered amoxicillin being one of the bad ones, heh.

I looked it up and Amoxycare contains amoxicillin.

Hmmmm...it is one of the ones with a huge 'health warning' that it can cause problems in some rabbits, so you might find lots of rabbits who have no problems at all with it and then some that get very, very poorly. The problem is that you can't tell in advance which is going to be which, so it's not used often. If you're interested in more of the reasons why some are "good" or "bad" there's some interesting info here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/penicillin.htm

Personally I would be concerned that this was the drug of choice - I would be interested to know why, given the choice of much safer antibiotics available, that amoxycare was the one chosen on this occasion. There may be a perfectly good explanation but I would want to know what it is, as it would make me nervous to think that amoxycare is used as a routine antibiotic choice in rabbits.

Sounds like your little one is doing very well though :) As always after operations and antibiotics, do keep a very close eye on his eating, pooing and behaviour and get onto your vet if you are at all concerned. xx

Last edited:
Thank you for the link! That was really helpful. I was pretty surprised to see it on the statement, especially as I had already been given a statement which said it would be Baytril used...
I think it was just a precautionary thing so I don't see why there would be a reason to use it over any other. He has a check up on Thursday to make sure he's all ok after today so I'm going to have a chat to the vet about it then.

I'm really surprised and happy at how well he seems at the moment :) Last time he had a GA he was off his food a bit and didn't poo properly for a couple of days.

Back