• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny baths

neenee

Warren Scout
just gave neela her first bath and she was perfect :D she obviously wasnt too keen on it but didnt make a fuss. not planning on making it a regular thing but had to give her one as she had a bit of a mucky bum :? what are your bunnies like in the bath?? :)

just gave neela her first bath and she was perfect :D she obviously wasnt too keen on it but didnt make a fuss. not planning on making it a regular thing but had to give her one as she had a bit of a mucky bum :? what are your bunnies like in the bath?? :)

Well my first rabbit died because I tried to bathe him (Forgive me, I was only 7). I'm not sure if he died of shock or if he froze because he wasn't dried properly :(

On the plus side, my neighbours netherland dwarf is ok with baths, and he loves being dried with the hairdryer! He gets extremelly filthy and I'm suprised he hasn't had flystrike yet.

My bunnies hate bathes!! :lol: I have two long furred buns so they get bathed quite often, especially in the summer. I've found the best thing to use as a bath tub is something like a hamster cage - Fill the tray up with warm water, stick bunny in, put the cage top on. Un-escapable! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well my first rabbit died because I tried to bathe him (Forgive me, I was only 7). I'm not sure if he died of shock or if he froze because he wasn't dried properly :(

On the plus side, my neighbours netherland dwarf is ok with baths, and he loves being dried with the hairdryer! He gets extremelly filthy and I'm suprised he hasn't had flystrike yet.

yeah i was quite scared about giving her a bath tbh which is why ive avoided it but luckily shes fine :) haha i know a few buns who love the hairdryer which is strange :p

yeah i was quite scared about giving her a bath tbh which is why ive avoided it but luckily shes fine :) haha i know a few buns who love the hairdryer which is strange :p

Flash is petrified of the hairdryer, but my neighbours rabbit loves it. Jez dosen't mind it either (I had to bathe his eyes and he ended up soaked). I've never tried to bathe Harley.

I've never bathed any of my present bunnies, but had to regularly bathe my bunny Peter when he has his eye removed, he was an outdoor bunny but we always made sure he was dry before going back out. He didn't mind baths at all! :wave:

When my bun Tipsy had abscesses on her tum and back leg, she had to have her wounds washed out twice a day which was done in the sink with warm water and iodine put in the wounds.

Luckily, she was a brill rabbit was would stay still, she never EVER scrabbled, scratched, struggled or bit. She was an awesome bun. So affectionate, even though she had to have these 'semi-baths' (her back of top part of the body never got wet) and she also used to love the hairdryer. Mum had to use it as using a towel on her that often would have made her skin sore and took a long time.

She was a brill bunny.

Would never bath a bun unless they had messed themselves of couldnt do it themselved properly. It washes the natural oils off their skin.

When my bun Tipsy had abscesses on her tum and back leg, she had to have her wounds washed out twice a day which was done in the sink with warm water and iodine put in the wounds.

Luckily, she was a brill rabbit was would stay still, she never EVER scrabbled, scratched, struggled or bit. She was an awesome bun. So affectionate, even though she had to have these 'semi-baths' (her back of top part of the body never got wet) and she also used to love the hairdryer. Mum had to use it as using a towel on her that often would have made her skin sore and took a long time.

She was a brill bunny.

Would never bath a bun unless they had messed themselves of couldnt do it themselved properly. It washes the natural oils off their skin.

same with neela shes so cuddly. yeah i wouldnt bath her unless i have to, i have these grooming wipes though to keep her coat silky :p pampered lol

Rabbit's shouldn't need baths unless they have an under lying problem causing them to get dirty. So a bath, should be a short term solution but you need to work on the under lying problem.

If that was a dirty bum then the problem most likely lies in diet. Probably not enough fibre and too much protein. Try increasing the proportion of hay in her diet and decreasing dry food. If you're not already then swapping to a high fibre pellet should help too.

As well as meaning no further baths it should help her health generally too :D

Rabbit's shouldn't need baths unless they have an under lying problem causing them to get dirty. So a bath, should be a short term solution but you need to work on the under lying problem.

I have outdoor buns, french lop / lionhead crosses, who have awful trouble with dirty feet! Although I check tham all the time, they still get clumps that are difficult to take care of - not least of all because they're not "snuggle" buns! I don't want to cause any problems for them - the clumps don't seem to bother them - but would washing their feet occasionally help? :?

I had to bumwash Hope and Faith when they first came as their back ends were covered in filth because they were living in a cage covered in poo and wee. :( They were filthy!

Not had to do them again since though - now that they're regularly cleaned out they're in a much better condition.

If that was a dirty bum then the problem most likely lies in diet. Probably not enough fibre and too much protein. Try increasing the proportion of hay in her diet and decreasing dry food. If you're not already then swapping to a high fibre pellet should help too.

As well as meaning no further baths it should help her health generally too :D

she has a really good diet, at least i think she does. Shes fed on excel pellets (not alot) and gets a cup of leafy greens a day and she gets loads of hay too. I think maybe the problem was my brother and his friend were feeding her treats and maybe gave her too much as her poo is normally solid and she is a very very healthy rabbit :) also her bum wasnt dirty at all just a bit clumped because of the sawdust, i regularly groom her but thought it best to take it out unless it got worse.

Hmm, usually they'd take care off grooming their tootsies themselves.

I wouldn't have thought bathing would help with clean but matted fur. It's more when they've got poop caked on so the water dissolves the poop freeing the fur.

If they sit out in the wet a lot you could try providing a covered area (a stool/small table) when they can pop under and dry out their toes and clean them off.

she has a really good diet, at least i think she does. Shes fed on excel pellets (not alot) and gets a cup of leafy greens a day and she gets loads of hay too. I think maybe the problem was my brother and his friend were feeding her treats and maybe gave her too much as her poo is normally solid and she is a very very healthy rabbit :) also her bum wasnt dirty at all just a bit clumped because of the sawdust, i regularly groom her but thought it best to take it out unless it got worse.

Hmmmmmm.......I had the same problem with my husband and bunny treats until I made him clean them out!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmmmmm.......I had the same problem with my husband and bunny treats until I made him clean them out!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: now that sounds like a good way to teach um!

I use their pellets as treats so they just get hay/veg as food.

I wouldn't have thought bathing would help with clean but matted fur. It's more when they've got poop caked on so the water dissolves the poop freeing the fur.

If they sit out in the wet a lot you could try providing a covered area (a stool/small table) when they can pop under and dry out their toes and clean them off.

They have a good 4 x 4 ft area where they can sit if it rains! They just don't want too!!! :oops: :shock: :lol:

They have a good 4 x 4 ft area where they can sit if it rains! They just don't want too!!! :oops: :shock: :lol:

Well if they are going to be stubborn and they are otherwise keeping themselves clean I think I'd leave them to it. Some breeds just have more fluff to deal with than other :lol:

yeah it was poo but as shes long haired it got stuck in her fur. At the moment shes in the garage because our garden is sodden! really its all mud at the moment because of all the rain and if i put her out in it she really would be messy! :p i defo think it was my brothers feeding though as this has never happened and she has a good diet :)

Back