• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone ever written a letter to a back yard breeder?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Someone in our village is keeping their rabbits in bad conditions and using them as breeding machines, giving them away for free to young children :evil:

I'd like to write a letter, but have no idea how to start it. Has anyone ever done one before?

Thanks

I'm sure the RWA or someone must produce some leaflets about the amount of bunnies in rescue, could you not pop some of those through his door? That would show him that it's a genuine national problem and not just someone's pet peeve.

I would report them to the RSPCA.

These people always know better unfortunately:cry:

Have done, twice via the site. One for cruelty and one I think was something to do with law (them selling rabbits to under 16's). This was months ago, and they still have the baby rabbits for sale sign in their window. Apparently my friend who lives on the street saw an RSPCA van last week but she didn't know which house it was coming from :(

I'll try the RWA site :)

Deffo report them - I have reported a fair few people I have been disgusted with the way they are kept - unfortunatley one one occasion the RSPCA wanted photograpic proof which I couldnt get x

What do you hope to achieve by a letter? I'm not sure it would have any benefit other than getting your frustration out.

Remember going through official channels isn't instant. They have to send someone out to investigate who has to catch the person at home. If there are issues then then give them a set of instructions on what to improve and a reasonable time to do so eg 14 days. They then have to revisit to see if those are made and if not gather enough evidence to take action.

Keep putting pressure on the authorities that can do something. If it's rented the house owner, if they are selling animals trading standards/tax office council, if the animals are kept poorly then RSPCA or council. If they are doing something wrong they will take action. If they aren't then unfortunately their is nothing you can do.

Hiya,
My buns were going to be given away free to kids as the breeder didn't like their markings. i took the buns and had a good snoop around at the same time. They weren't even aware of the minimum sized hutch and were feeding them cornflakes. I did report them to the RSPCA. Felt a bit guilty as they were obviously trying their best, but really didn't seem to know anything about them. Anyway, I heard on the grapevine recently that they no longer have any rabbits, so it sounds like the RSPCA did intervene.
Sorry, i'm waffling a bit, but I think it would be best to go through the RSPCA rather than write a letter. The RSPCA are good at educating people as well- it may be that they just need more information.

Back