• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

any ideas on how i can introduce our rabbit to our dog??

amme

Warren Scout
without fear of the dog eating the rabbit, or the rabbit having a heart attack,we have got a labrador/springer spaniel so she is really daft and wouldnt hurt a fly. Everytime i let the rabbit out in the garden she goes mad at the window, barking and clawing and wants to be out there with the rabbit to play( i think)

I cant keep this up:( everytime i go out to the bunny i have to lock her in the house, then when i get back in she is whining at the door to go out!!!!

I know she just wants to be inquisitive,

please help.

Hi, Sorry to disappoint you but I don't think your dog sounds like the right kind of dog to be a buns friend:( They need to be calmer than your dog sounds.

I get the feeling from your post that you are not sure if your dog wants to play or kill your rabbit.

My dogs only ever get to meet my rabbits through the cage. When the rabbits are out my dogs are in the kitchen or upstairs.

I would love them to get on, but I know it is not an option:(

Have you only one rabbit? If so maybe you could get her a bunny to be friends with:)

Yeah - rabbits don't like sudden movements and the like, which is why I never EVER leave Holly [GSD/Rottweiler cross] alone with the buns. I know she won't eat them, if they're on my bed she just gives them a good sniffing and then wanders off :lol: but she is big, clumsy and hyperactive, so she could easily step on them or frighten them into hurting themselves. Some things just aren't meant to be - and it sounds like your dog and your bun are one of them.

You can try basic training with your dog on a lead and the rabbit in the hutch. Take your dog out to meet the rabbit, but every time he acts too hyper quickly turn around and take him back inside. It may take half an hour of training every day but he should learn that he has to be calm to meet the bun. I still wouldn't let them interact if you have any doubts at all. It's just too dangerous but dogs want what they can't have. You can, with patience, teach him he can have what he wants if he acts appropriately.

Last edited:
You can try basic training with your dog on a lead and the rabbit in the hutch. Take your dog out to meet the rabbit, but every time he acts too hyper quickly turn around and vile him back inside. It may take half an hour of training every day but he should learn that he has to be calm to meet the bun. I still wouldn't let them interact if you have any doubts at all. It's just too dangerous but dogs want what they can't have. You can, with patience, teach him he can have what he wants if he acts appropriately.

This is what I am doing. I have a 5 year old springer. I have to say though my aim is to allow in the garden and him ignore the buns in their runs - I'm not hoping for any more and would never allow them out together. I reckon it will take several months so am hoping by next spring he can go in the garden without a lead. Its not easy with a hunting breed!

Oh and to mention I started by training him that he wasn't allowed to jump up at the windows or make a fuss in the conservatory - this alone took about 8 weeks!

You can try basic training with your dog on a lead and the rabbit in the hutch. Take your dog out to meet the rabbit, but every time he acts too hyper quickly turn around and take him back inside. It may take half an hour of training every day but he should learn that he has to be calm to meet the bun. I still wouldn't let them interact if you have any doubts at all. It's just too dangerous but dogs want what they can't have. You can, with patience, teach him he can have what he wants if he acts appropriately.

that sounds like a good idea :) I will start tommorow i think , that way she may learn that when i go outside to clean the hutch out she isnt missing out on anything and i aslo have control over her. thankyou. As crysta said " it would be nice to let the dog have a sniff and then the dog be able to walk of"

I wouldnt leave my dog alone with the rabbit that would be too much stress!!!!! but just training her enough to be in close contact like crystas dog would be fantatstic.

This is what I am doing. I have a 5 year old springer. I have to say though my aim is to allow in the garden and him ignore the buns in their runs -
Oh and to mention I started by training him that he wasn't allowed to jump up at the windows or make a fuss in the conservatory - this alone took about 8 weeks!

Thats what i would like to acheive:):):) How did you train him to stop jumping up at the windows and barking????? you can pm me if you want to :D

Thats what i would like to acheive:):):) How did you train him to stop jumping up at the windows and barking????? you can pm me if you want to :D

Heya, for some reason it wouldn't let me PM you :?

I trained him by at first having him on the lead in there and whenever he went to dash at the windows or door I said 'NO' ! I pulled on his lead (he has a harness so I can pull him quite strongly) and he would sit down (still very excited) but he would get a treat. I then talked gently to him telling him what a good boy he was until the next time he lurched and then repeated.

10 mins a day was enough. I kept it up for about 8 weeks and was able to take the lead off after about two weeks. He did then put his paws up on the window sill but then I introduced 'OFF' and would push him off and give him a treat when he sat. Most times he is ok now although he does still run in for a look whenever I open the door.

The other word I used was 'OI' as I use this when we are out too and he recognises it as being told to stop what he is doing.

I then continued training with the conservatory door open, him on a lead and Daisy and Ben were in the run opposite the door. He was VERY excited but I wouldn't let him move - gave Daisy & Ben a chance to see he could not hurt them too - last thing you want is a stressed bunny!

When out in the garden I first kept him on a very short lead and forced him to walk up and down the garden past the runs - not easy he is very strong!!

I then made him sit opposite Bungle & Nushkas run - same thing - to let them see each other. I did allow him up to the run at one point but Bungle Bunny went for him through the wire so I'm back to doing it at a distance.

I take him out back once or twice a week otherwise progress would be quicker.

Ref garden for wee's etc I take him out the front on a lead first and last thing and then over the fields twice a day so he's not missing the garden - but so want to be able to sit out with all my fluffs in the nice weather next year! Oh and would be nice not to have to stand on the doorstep in my PJ's at night :lol::lol:

Good luck with it, do let me know your progress x

PS, as someone else said a friend for your bunny would really make a difference, they love company :love:

Last edited:
Personally I don't think you should try it. The risks are too great, your dog could very easily mortally wound your rabbit just by trying to play.

But if you do try it please make sure you mussle your dog and keep it on a leesh and never ever leave them alone together.

I agree that this is probably your best shot, but you might have to accept that it may not work. Your dog does sound very excitable, which will spook most rabbits.

I'm very lucky that my rabbit has no fear in our dog, so doesn't run away from her, removing the fun of chasing. Which, combined with her natural calm nature, means they live together fine.

However, I do think it's lovely to see them like this....

IMG_0772.jpg

Good Luck :)

Have to agree, dog on lead rabbit in hutch that way no one will get hurt ;) i did this with mine, i was told my lab would eat it coz thats what labs do :roll: and as for me rottie well i don't need to say anymore :lol: my rabbit has a big run at the back of the garden they don't even bother each other now, if someone comes tho even the rabbit runs to the gate like the dogs :lol: i wouldn't leave them alone together tho no matter how good they are together ;) it takes alot of patience and time but hopefully you'll get there in the end ;)

thats great news, looks like i got lots of work ahead of me then if i am to acheive all of that!!!! I do want have the run in the garden and let the dog have her garden back without her barking at the rabbits, oh well better start the training then:?

Back