• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Starbuck's Ear - Claw in it? With Pics

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, me again, sorry to keep starting new threads, I feel I am hogging RU today!!

First Fay, with thinking she had a claw in her skin (which turned out to be an old scar or in-grown hair and now settled).

Now Starbuck we think has a claw in his ear!! Unfortunately I have only just noticed this because they have both had "crusty" ears from fighting and we were trying not to touch them and let them settled down. But Starbuck's have felt very crusty still so I checked them out thoroughly today and to my horror I think he has a piece of claw stuck in it (they are separated now so no chance of this happening again until we try to bond them in the New Year).

Here are pictures:

Newrabbitset-up027.jpg

Newrabbitset-up029.jpg

Newrabbitset-up031.jpg

Newrabbitset-up033.jpg

Think we may have to take him to the vet yet again (only there on Friday for his eye! :()

Locks like an abscessated punture wound (from a bite)
I agree that its definately a Vet visit that's needed

Oh no, really? :(:cry: Do you think he is in pain with it?

I have an appointment for tomorrow, maybe I will try and move it to today if its painful... :cry:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I have an appointment at 5.10pm today now.
Will let you know the outcome.

Helen x

Thanks everyone. It was a claw :cry::cry: I feel so so so guilty and bad for poor Starbuck as it is a week ago that they last were together and fought, so it must have been in there causing him pain all week! Why didnt I notice it when I was giving him lovely cuddles yesterday?!!! :oops::cry::cry::cry:

The vet literally just pulled it out with his scissory things and that was it - no infection so no antibiotics, just leaving it to heal. They must think I am a right hyperchondriac at the vets as I have been there 3 times in 2 and a half weeks. At least he was kind enough to only charge me a nurses fee, so it was only £7. Poor little man. :cry:

Thanks everyone. It was a claw :cry::cry: I feel so so so guilty and bad for poor Starbuck as it is a week ago that they last were together and fought, so it must have been in there causing him pain all week! Why didnt I notice it when I was giving him lovely cuddles yesterday?!!! :oops::cry::cry::cry:

The vet literally just pulled it out with his scissory things and that was it - no infection so no antibiotics, just leaving it to heal. They must think I am a right hyperchondriac at the vets as I have been there 3 times in 2 and a half weeks. At least he was kind enough to only charge me a nurses fee, so it was only £7. Poor little man. :cry:

Glad it wasn't something too serious! I've been to the vets 5 days in a row including saturday and sunday this week! so don't worry about your vet thinking you're a hyperchondriac! :lol:

Get well soon Starbuck! :wave:

Only three times:shock::shock::shock: I have been once today with one rabbit, and my other half also went once today but with two rabbits. Then there was last Friday when we went with Hawthorn for his stitches and then there was last Thursday when I went with Damson for stassis and then there was . . . . . . and we're not even a rescue or anything!!!

Only three times:shock::shock::shock: I have been once today with one rabbit, and my other half also went once today but with two rabbits. Then there was last Friday when we went with Hawthorn for his stitches and then there was last Thursday when I went with Damson for stassis and then there was . . . . . . and we're not even a rescue or anything!!!

Oh dear I am sorry. I didnt mean to moan, I know there are lots of RU members who have rabbits with lots of health problems and far worse than mine. I think I just feel silly because its all been for relatively minor things...

I am sorry your bunnies have been poorly - I hope they are getting better. I dread to think what your vet bills are and what it does to your emotions :shock::oops:

Glad it wasn't something too serious! I've been to the vets 5 days in a row including saturday and sunday this week! so don't worry about your vet thinking you're a hyperchondriac! :lol:

Get well soon Starbuck! :wave:

Thank you. I am sorry your buns have been poorly and you've had so many trips to the vet. Please see my message above to Parsnipbun as I didnt mean to moan when I know lots of RU members have far more to deal with than I do.

Thanks for the get well message! :wave::)

Poor Starbuck, hope his little ear heals quickly. I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious though. :)

Don't worry about being a hyperchondriac - we spent £50 the other week on an utterly unnecessary check-up...but it was worth it for peace of mind.(though I do think £50 for a teeth, weight and ear check was quite steep!).

Healing ear vibes for Starbuck. :)

Poor Starbuck, hope his little ear heals quickly. I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious though. :)

Don't worry about being a hyperchondriac - we spent £50 the other week on an utterly unnecessary check-up...but it was worth it for peace of mind.(though I do think £50 for a teeth, weight and ear check was quite steep!).

Healing ear vibes for Starbuck. :)

Yeah me too, blimey! Thanks for the message and the vibes!! :wave:

Back