• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are bunnies allowed bread?

It's bad for them

I have fed it before (toasted) if I have a bun that is ill & refuses food, but it's not something that should be done often

My Tabby (RIP) LOVED bread and would do all she could to try and steal it, she was the same with cheese and crackers too, but as she was an outdoor bun, the only time she was successful was if we were outside eating in the summer (she stole a hamburger once!!).

Rimmi, however, is a house rabbit and he also loves bread, he is a royal pain in the butt when we have toast, sandwiches or naan bread..... :roll:

I feed mine a slice of toast as a treat rarely (they like it warm on a cold day!), i wouldnt feed it every week.

Some people feed bread as a treat, I would never do it myself unless the bun was super poorly anyway and needed to be cajoled into eating again, as I read that the high starch content of bread is really bad for their guts.

Tabby was very lucky to never have any gut problems and lived till she was 8 and a quarter years old..... she was a terrible food thief.....:roll: but had a beautiful personality.

Some of my buns love stale bread so as a treat I would toast some bread and then leave it out for an hour or so to go hard.

It wasnt very often though.

Its not a food stuff you can feed them every day or something.

Daisy loves toast and she has had the occasional bit of crust, but it is a rare treat. Jester had one little piece once and binkied around like a lunatic, so I'm sure he's a fan too.

Didnt think it sounded right as I am SURE I have read somewhere that it is bad for them!?!

I suspect it varies with the rabbit - they are all different and some have tummies that can tolerate bread, while some don't - just as some bunnies are over sensitive to certain vegetables. I can't be bothered with riskign it myself when there are so many other treats they enjoy. Also, I never have bread in the house anyway :lol:

Mine get it as a treat - usually if we bought a fresh loaf of bread and did not eat the end, we bake it until it is hard in the oven, then give it to them. They really love it. But it's definitely not something given often. I also use it to tempt ne of my bunnies when he has a stasis episode. He's very picky though - he prefers the white bread, which I'm sure must be even less good for him than the brown! :lol:

I give them dried bread as a rare treat.
Its good to have something to do with those end-slices that never gets eaten and is otherwise just thrown away...such a waste. So we decided to just save them for the pets.

Deej adores bread (as a treat) I dry out any crusts and break into small pieces.

I read that bunnies can actually become addicted to bread and become aggressive over it, so not too feed it too often! Also brown is healthier than white! :oops::D

He is a pest though when you have sandwiches (he once pulled my whole ham sandwich off the table)! :roll:

I agree different buns respond differently to various foods and treats, like some people feed those dried corn cobs, which I would never give Deej.

I suspect it varies with the rabbit - they are all different and some have tummies that can tolerate bread, while some don't - just as some bunnies are over sensitive to certain vegetables. I can't be bothered with riskign it myself when there are so many other treats they enjoy. Also, I never have bread in the house anyway :lol:

Same even with pellets, some buns get bad tums on Excel where as others dont... must just be down to the stuff they are made of....

Back