• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald dots on ear??? serious? halp plz

AngryBunny

New Kit
Hi guys.

My mini rex doe had a little bald spot on her right ear a week ago.
I did abit of reading and it didn't seem too serious, possibly heavy moulting?

It still doesn't seem serious but i am getting a little worried about it.
She's developed another bald dot on the front of that ear.
It seemed fine before but could be a little dry now.

Any ideas of what it could be and treatments?
Any help is muchly appreciated.

From,
AngryBunny

YAY Kiwi Bron replied!
I was sitting here going :( no replies.
I will try to find the cord to upload pictures from my phone.

Until i do i'll try to elaborate my description of the symptoms.
She's a all black rex.
On her ear is a little circular bald dot with no or little hair, very small, only 1/4 to 1/3 of a centimeter in diameter.
At first it looked like just skin underneath, all healthy.
Now it still looks the same but with maybe a little dry.
Also another little same sized dot appeared on the front of the same ear.

Other than that she is very healthy.
Eating fine, pooping fine, same old bunny.

I will now try to go take a piccy and find my uploading cord.
Thanks for the quick reply Kiwi Bron :D.

i think i got it: (macro setting....wasnt very macro, hope this site resizes)

SNC00063.jpg

SNC00067.jpg

SNC00069.jpg

SNC00070.jpg

*crosses fingers*

.... failed.

Ok guys sorry bout the extra effort.
Could you please click on these links:
http://angrybunnydude.angelfire.com/SNC00063.jpg
http://angrybunnydude.angelfire.com/SNC00067.jpg
http://angrybunnydude.angelfire.com/SNC00069.jpg
http://angrybunnydude.angelfire.com/SNC00070.jpg

*fingers crossed again*

Hrmmm i seem to be able to only see 1 picture....
Setup the angelfire thing just to host the pics >< and get this load block image
Hope you guys can at least see 1 piccy, if not if you copy paste the URL into your address block it works.

Is it serious?
I dont see any mites, and inside the ears look fine.
Just normal skin underneath.

Last edited:
Ok just went to have another close up look.
The bald dots are just skin underneath, not scaley or flakey.
BUT when looking at the overall ears underneath the fur, it is abit dry and flakey, but only a tiny bit.

I have vitamin drops for their water (although i havent put that in the past few days). It's not a lack of vitamins is it?

Hope its not serious.
Thanks again for your quick reply Kiwi Bron.
I'll be sitting here :)

Please don't freak out but....I'm actually wondering if its ringworm. Hopefully I'm wrong but I think you really need to get your bun checked by a vet. Do you have other pets in the house? Have a check & see if any of them have anything similar.

Hmmmm i have alot of pets and none of them seem to have anything like it.
The rest are all healthy, and the male rabbit doesn't have it.

If it is ringworm, can it be fixed by just worming my bunny?
Its about time to reworm as well.

I'm going to go google image rabbit ringworm now.
Thanks again for your quick reply Bron

Ringworm despite the name isn't a worm it actually a fungus. It can have a variety of different presentations. But round scaley patches of hair loss is the most common.
I could be wrong & it may be something else but I strongly recommend you get your rabbit checked by a vet & then you will have a diagnosis & treatment options.

Back