• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Covering a run?

cloughie

Banned
Hi guys :hi:

I was wondering if you could post pics of what you use to cover your bunny runs as I'm stuck on what to do.

Me buns each have a 6x4ft run attached to their hutch but lately I am having to keep them in their hutches as this bad weather is making their runs too wet for them. I have been using tarpaulin sheets for the time being but they have not proved to be very good :lol:

Mine isn't covered. It's an aviary style and has not roof covering - there is mesh over the top to stop animals getting in but no weather covering. Smudge tends to stay in the playhouse if it's like this but doesn't mind drizzle - the run is on paving slabs and yes, is soaked! May try and cover with corrugated plastic type stuff at a later date.

Corrugated plastic + bricks (you need a lot more bricks than this when windy)
smallend.jpg

Corrugated plastic screwed into the wood on a 6ft tall run:
runhighside.jpg

It looks great...does rain get in form the open sides though? :)

I used corrguated plastic like that, but my runs are lower down. I don't have any problems with rain driving in. Yes, it does go in, but not very far and there are always dry areas. On bad days I will use tarpaulin or beach mats to shield them a bit from wind, but rain isn't really a problem.

When I had a hutch/run combo I used clear plastic sheeting with a tarpaulin over the top (the cheap tarpaulins seem to let water through if rain is really heavy). I draped it over the roof of the hutch and then down onto the run, so rain would just run down the slope. The whole thing was held on with spring clamps.

You can hopefully see what I mean from this pic:
DSCF6576700x525.jpg

I also had another plastic sheet (folded back onto hutch roof in the photo) to cover the front of the hutch/run.

It looks great...does rain get in form the open sides though? :)

On the 3ft tall one, no it doesn't really get in at all.

On the 6ft tall one, yes it comes in the sides, but there is a 3ft wall on one side and the shed on the other, plus they have some cover in the run up against the wall too, so they can shelter out of the rain if they want to. They do still tend to sit out and get a little bit wet :?

:lol: I never throught to use a plastic sheet before...that's a brill idea and a perfect solution...thanks for your help guys...off to find some plastic now :D

When I had a hutch/run combo I used clear plastic sheeting with a tarpaulin over the top (the cheap tarpaulins seem to let water through if rain is really heavy). I draped it over the roof of the hutch and then down onto the run, so rain would just run down the slope. The whole thing was held on with spring clamps.

You can hopefully see what I mean from this pic:
DSCF6576700x525.jpg

I also had another plastic sheet (folded back onto hutch roof in the photo) to cover the front of the hutch/run.

Thanks for posting pics :) your hutch and run is lovely :)

Thanks for posting pics :) your hutch and run is lovely :)

No problem. It's sometimes easier to post a photo than try to explain (badly :oops:) what I mean. :lol: I don't know whereabouts in Essex you are, but Ikea in Lakeside have cheap see through shower curtains that would be ideal - they're just under a pound and approx 6x6. :)

I have a heavy tarpaulin sheet and use fuse wire to attach it to the mesh on each corner of the run. I have to wire it about half-way along the length of the run as well to stop it from blowing-up. I then untwist the wire when I need to get them out at night. If your tarpaulin is big enough, you can cover the sides as well which will stop the rain from blowing in. There are loads of big tarpaulins on eBay if you're stuck for finding one.

Back