• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Stasis!?? help pls *Update& (Warning!!, POO pictures PG 2)

davemulheran

Warren Scout
Hi all

I have just got back from the emergency 24 hr vet...

I took ralph in, because all this afternoon he wouldn't eat / poo and acted very lethargically..

To be safe!

The vet couldnt feel any huge amounts of bloating.. and checked his teeth and said there were very minor spurs.. but nothing to worry about

He injected Ralph with some Zantac and also some Metocloride ... He said these two medicines compliment each other to help get the gut moving

Do you guys think Ralph has GI Stasis?? since hes been home he's had a good drink but still no eating / poo's.. MOST unlike him

I think ill take him to the vet tomorrow in normal hours

any advice / experiences? im a bit worried

thks

Dave

Last edited:
yes, it does sound like stasis. the metaclopramide and zantac do work together to get the gut moving....but he should be on pain relief aswell...metacam. a rabbit in pain won't eat (as jane always says!) but it is so true.

try tempting him with his favourite foods.

but i would ring the vets and get some metacam to be honest.

meant to say - when matt had stasis, he had the metaclopramide, zantac and metacam and i also had to syringe feed him recovery food and water every few hours, even through the night. he started eating again when the metacam had kicked in, but not enough so i still syringed for a bit, but it took about a week of care to get him back to normal.

also, some people will make their own mix for syringing....or use baby food. i don't know the mixes though i'm afraid.

i think metacam is needed asap though. maybe phone and get some for tonight, and then go to your normal vets tomorrow. i take it the 24hour one isn't your usual one?

Hi, thanks guys. :)

He doesnt seem to be in any pain... no grinding of teeth or signs of discomfort when the vet massaged his gut to check for blockages...

Ill take him to the vets first thing in the morning.

The vet did mention recovery food but didnt have any...!?

and no this vet isnt my usual.. its a 30 minute drive emergency. £140 for tonights visit!

Hi, thanks guys. :)

He doesnt seem to be in any pain... no grinding of teeth or signs of discomfort when the vet massaged his gut to check for blockages...

Ill take him to the vets first thing in the morning.

The vet did mention recovery food but didnt have any...!?

and no this vet isnt my usual.. its a 30 minute drive emergency. £140 for tonights visit!

Any sign of poo?

What food do you use? If its SS or similar you can soak some and syringe feed it - providing your vet was sure there was no blockage - best to get some food in so the metaclop can get it moving into poo.

any gut slowdown will be causing pain and/or discomfort. which is why they don't want to eat.

i personally would get metacam tonight. the vet should have given this anyway.

but if you really can't get any, try tempting him with all his favourite foods, and i like julia said, mash some pellets with boiled water, wait to cool, and syringe that.

if you search the forum there is other advice about foods, some mash pellets and banana i think, or vegetable baby food i think????

it is so important he starts eating and pooping though, as you know. they can go downhill so quickly. maybe if he hasn't eaten or pooped soon then get the metacam?

Morning guys....

improvements I think... He is not so lethargic now... wandering around the bedroom etc... He has also had a good drink, and eaten some washed spring greens and a few leaves of basil.

He has also eaten a small bit of hay and a pellet or two. (he eats SS pellets and a few bunny basics mixed in) I sprinkled some of that 'naturals' herbs plus in to his bowl as well and he has eaten a bit of that.

also.. we have poo's.. some caecel ones, and some small dark ones. But also some larger.

I take it all of the above is a good sign?? The only odd thing about his behaviour, that is out of his usual routine is that he isn't gorging down his pellets. He hasn't really touched them.

Should I hold off from taking him to the vet and see how he gets on? (ive taken the day off work to keep an eye on him)... its a whole different ball game catching him and taking him to the vets.. id rather not over stress him if at all possible.

Did the Vet check his teeth ?

GI stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem, frequently Dental related. So if he has Dental problems the GI distrurbances will recur until the primary cause is addressed.

Did the Vet check his teeth ?

GI stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem, frequently Dental related. So if he has Dental problems the GI distrurbances will recur until the primary cause is addressed.

Yes he examined his teeth last night. HE said he had very minor growth at the back but nothing serious.... i dont really have 100% faith in this vet either.

I'll take Ralph in for a check up this afternoon.... ill keep an eye on him throughout the day.

at least he has poo'd and eaten a bit

Yes he examined his teeth last night. HE said he had very minor growth at the back but nothing serious.... i dont really have 100% faith in this vet either.

I'll take Ralph in for a check up this afternoon
.... ill keep an eye on him throughout the day.

at least he has poo'd and eaten a bit

That's a good idea, even if its just for your own peace of mind :)

Update guys.. can I have your expert opinions please...

APOLOGIES FOR THE POO PICS.... WEAK STOMACHS PLS AVOID

This morning I found this big lump of poo in Ralphs play box... on closer inspection I found this stringy substance..... is it a worm(s)!!?

its only in this lump... its stringy and mucusy (sp) thickness not unlike spaghetti

i checked all his other poo's this morning, solid ones and nothing like this in them. just hay and his hair

I thought worms in rabbit poo were small white-ish?

He is a 100% house rabbit with the run of the house all the time. Only time he goes outside is for a nosey around then straight back indoors!

can anyone help identify this?? perhaps its just his meds last night, pushing out the rubbish in his system... ? all his other poo's seem fine

I will take this to the vets with me this afternoon

here come the pics...!!!

SNV30667.jpg

SNV30668.jpg

SNV30669.jpg

SNV30670.jpg

Those don't look like any worms I've seen (pinworms and once saw a picture of a tape owmr out of a bunny), but the mucousy stuff seems to indicate a very irritated and stressed gut.

I would get him checked out, definitely.

do you know what's caused the initial problem? Like Jane says, gut problems are secondary to something else, which could be some sort of physical issue, could be stress, could be something like eating something toxic, or something new that disagrees with his gut, etc.

This is only my opinion but it looks like he did have a blockage and this was it... the metaclop must have pushed it through. The stringy bits are probably fur covered in mucos. There is a certain amount of mucos in buns stomachs to aid digestion and because he did not pass any it all came out at once. Normal poos after are an excellent sign.

However as I said that is just my opinion and I'm no vet - as Jane said any gut instability has an underlying cause and you definately need to take him for another check up. If you still have that poo take it with you and some of the normal ones too.

This is only my opinion but it looks like he did have a blockage and this was it... the metaclop must have pushed it through. The stringy bits are probably fur covered in mucos.

I think you are right Julia, the vet seemed to agree also :D

Anyway, we are back. The vet we use is the animal clinic in Blackheath, SE London. Im confident they are pretty good with Rabbits.

His teeth are fine, no need for filing. His belly is a bit sore she says but not bloated. Looks like it was just a blockage and the emergency metocloride pushed it through.

She have him another dose of meto and some metacam. I have also come home with 15ml of metacam and some fibreplex for the emergency cupboard.

Its been an expensive month! Hopefully he will be ok now. Thanks to all that gave advice, it was a big help. I am most grateful :rabbit2:

Back