• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She is nesting!!

logiebear

Young Bun
Well looks like we won't have long to wait for our baby bunniyes. We had our massive hutch/run combo delivered and made it up today and put her in it. We left her to it for an hour and she was making a nest with all the fresh hay etc. Think she may have her babies tonight!

Is the nest in a nest box? If not, it may be worth moving it into one before she has the kits, especially in this cold weather, at this time of year.

A nest box needs to be open at the top, have high enough sides so the kits can't wriggle out, and be big enough so mum can get in and turn around.

Make sure they're nice and cosy, it's really cold for them at this time of year :wave: Are they in the house or a garage?

They are out door bunnies in a super large hutch. Is small animal bedding ok to use when they are having babies or should I just give her extra hay and sawdust??

tghe nest box should be lined with sawdust at the bottom, and then loads and laods of hay. Don't use any bedding, just lots of hay. You'll probably also need to use a heat source too if they are outside. Maybe something like taping a hot water bottle or a snugglesafe to the underneath of the hutch, below where the nest is (i.e. not in the hutch) can help keep them warm.

tghe nest box should be lined with sawdust at the bottom, and then loads and laods of hay. Don't use any bedding, just lots of hay. You'll probably also need to use a heat source too if they are outside. Maybe something like taping a hot water bottle or a snugglesafe to the underneath of the hutch, below where the nest is (i.e. not in the hutch) can help keep them warm.

Make sure the babies are able to wriggle away from the heat though if it's too hot, rabbits don't cope well when they're too hot

Make sure the babies are able to wriggle away from the heat though if it's too hot, rabbits don't cope well when they're too hot

That's why not having it in the cage is ok. It's not hot hot, it just provides a small warmth through the floor of the hutch, and through the floor of the nest box. Obviously the temp depends on how thick both of those are, etc.

Back