• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gaining weight in a bunny

lauramc888

Warren Scout
Feel like my 3 year old bunny has put on a bit of beef recently for no reason, diet hasnt changed or that. Any reason this could be, or more to the point, is weight gain a sign of anything?

Has your bun been having more excercise? as I think muscle weighs more than ordinary tissue, but don't know if this would make a significant enough difference for you to feel.

Have you actually weighed him/her? You can usually do this free at the vets then weigh again in a few weeks to see if there's any difference?

Is your bun otherwise happy/eating/weeing/pooing?-sue:wave:

Last edited:
thanks for the replies. Last time I had her at the vet she was 2.5kg, and you could feel a bit of weight when holding her, but vet said she is fine, havent weighed her for a few months now but just feel shes quite heavy. her fur is quite thick but wouldnt say shes out exercising more than usual. Suppose it could be the opposite, wi the crappy weather maybe not out running as much. She has been fine, same old pepper! But shes had a bit of a down day today, not doing anything and even turning her nose up at food.....awfy unlike her!!! Ill keep an eye on her. Shell be back to vets soon for a check up anyway. Her sister is a lot skinnier than her, she was 2kg last time we were at vet and shes a light wee thing. But they eat the same.

I agree that a vet check would be in order. That way you can also get her weighed. Does she live with her sister? If she does, it may be she is piggying all the food for some reason (could be maybe her sister has dental problems or other problems slowing down her eating). Can you feed them separately?

Back