• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have made progress in bonding, but what happens next?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I've made a real breakthrough in bonding today and just thinking about the future. I put Ralph and Ruby together in a truly neutral location, and the whole time before this I thought that Ralph (neutered) was the one causing the problems but it's actually not, it's Ruby. She isn't spayed and therefore hormonal, so she goes up to him, stamps her foot, squeaks, runs away, freaks him out and because of this, he chases her! He was rolling on his back, licking her, licking around her, being very affectionate. It ended with me feeling like I could leave them together without me being there, and the only thing that would happen would be that she would just be running and bolting and stamping a lot. Neither of them were hurt or traumatized by the experience.

My next thought though, is HOW do you transfer the buns to a non-neutral location after bonding them somewhere neutral? Don't they immediately revert back to default territorial?

Sounds like it is going well. How long have they been together? I wouldn't leave them the first day on their own. It varies from bun to bun but it took a couple of days before I was totally happy with Wesley and Merlin being left alone.

When you transfer them into non neutral territory you need to clean everything thoroughly with white vinegar and move things around to make it different.

Hi! I have been swapping hutches since last week, which has changed Ralph's behavior massively! Thanks for the advice RE: non-neutral territory.

What is the minimum age Ruby can be to get spayed?

Hi! I have been swapping hutches since last week, which has changed Ralph's behavior massively! Thanks for the advice RE: non-neutral territory.

What is the minimum age Ruby can be to get spayed?

Minimum is normally 5 months for girls and most vets won't do it til 6 months. :wave:

So glad its going well :D

I often think this too and Im sure even if i moved things about and cleaned -my 2 would know which was their own sections :?

So will you have to re-bond them once Ruby is spayed?

x

Back