• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long haired lion heads??

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Peaches is a lop sort of lion head - but in the last couple of months (she is about 18 months old) her hair is actually getting longer. Its very fine and silky around her neck and ears - its also quite thick on her body and she has longer bits round her whiskers - but its the length of the neck/ear hair that seems amazing.
It sort of falls all over her shoulders and back like human long hair does.
Is this usual?

I have tried some photos but they don't show the longer fine bits - which I measured and are 6inches long!!

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

she is a real prima dona and hates being made to go outside in the real world!

She's a lovely looking lionlop. Beautiful girl.

What happens with her mane and lionhead characteristics is generally influenced by genetics, so some buns lose their manes, some buns get longer fur, thicker manes, additional 'bits' that are lionheady, etc.

Hi
Peaches is beautiful:love::love:
Yes Eric and Ernie have this too! They also have mutton chop moustaches which get very wet when they drink from their bowl.(but Honey licks off the drips) They are about 20 months and I thought they would lose their mane, but they seem to be very fluffy with their winter coat this year.
Honey has a mane too, but she's not quite as fluffy as the boys.

Frankie must have been crossed somewhere along the line as he only has whisps between the ears

frankieandBluebelle018.jpg

frankieandBluebelle016.jpg

Where as Charlie is much different

CopyofIMG_7776.jpg
and he is much fluffier everywhere

Frankie must have been crossed somewhere along the line as he only has whisps between the ears

Where as Charlie is much different

There are two types of lionhead, single and double mane, and each one varies with how it presents.

From those pics both Frankie and Charlie look like single mane lionheads/lops, but genetics has done different things with their mane (with one losing it somewhat, and one going fluffy).

Having said that, if Charlie is fluffier everywhere he may be a fuzzy lop of some sort, or a teddy lionlop, or he could be a strange double mane. Frankie is definitely a single mane though.

There are two types of lionhead, single and double mane, and each one varies with how it presents.

From those pics both Frankie and Charlie look like single mane lionheads/lops, but genetics has done different things with their mane (with one losing it somewhat, and one going fluffy).

Having said that, if Charlie is fluffier everywhere he may be a fuzzy lop of some sort, or a teddy lionlop, or he could be a strange double mane. Frankie is definitely a single mane though.

Without hijacking the thread, I'd like your knowledge on what mane Mimah has. Shes mega fluffy, in the bum department and all!
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=198797&highlight=jemimah

That looks to me like a very stereotypical double maned lionhead (she has the skirt and everything). Beautiful bunny!

By the way, this is only what I have picked up from my lionhead breeder friends and personal research because I find it so interesting.

oh thank you! I thought she was double maned, because of her bum! :lol:

oh thank you! I thought she was double maned, because of her bum! :lol:

:lol: Aw. I have seen single maned lionhead babies with skirts, who lose their skirts when they get older (that's not very common though, normally it is just on the head and neck area). It's the whole sort of fuzzier appearance. It means she inherited a lionhead gene from both parents (so presumably both were lionheads).

Thanks for all the info!! I guess when I think 'lionhead' I am probably actually envisaging the 'teddy' styles so didn't know they could be as long haired as Peaches!

Here is her rear end which is less glamourous - especially as I took it after I had made her go out for a while so she has grubby feet!! She used to have two long whisps of hair either side of her tail but she has lost those now.

IMG_1018.jpg

Thanks for all the info!! I guess when I think 'lionhead' I am probably actually envisaging the 'teddy' styles so didn't know they could be as long haired as Peaches!

Here is her rear end which is less glamourous - especially as I took it after I had made her go out for a while so she has grubby feet!! She used to have two long whisps of hair either side of her tail but she has lost those now.

IMG_1018.jpg

:love::love::love:
Dont care if feetsies are grubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Incidently,I didnt know my Mrs Bun was a Lionhead x breed!! She had spikes on her head as a 6 month old,no skirts...but now at the age of 2,she has a full mane,which flops in a side parting and it goes down her back....!! Still no skirts but hey!! Shes boofuls!!:love::love:

Actually, Peaches long hair reminds me of a bun called Hayden (can't remember who he belongs to :oops:), he has the best 'do ever!

Gloria is a lionhead with really long hair like the OP described. She has a fringe on her bum a bit like a hovercraft and mutton chops.

Gloria001.jpg

Back