• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snowdrop has electricuted herself! UPDATE post 26

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Snowdrop has managed to get to an electricial cable and has bit through it. It has sparked on her so she has burnt her mouth. Her top teeth look fine but her bottom teeth look black and charred.

I know obviously I need the vets, am just waiting for them to call back but im not sure how good our emergency service are.

Can someone tell me what I should be doing while I wait? She is bright and alert and is nibbling some spring greens that are cold to soothe her mouth incase its sore.

Last edited:
Oh, poor you and her. Last thing you both need.

I have no advice, but you're doing sensible things by getting her to eat cool stuff.

I hope the vets call back super quick.

Have you searched the forum for previous electrocution threads? Might give you an idea for the sort of treatments that may be necessary if your emergency vet is not great (I would imagine pain meds would be the start but no idea other than that).

How is she acting?

aww poor girl - hope you get the call from vets soon :love:

Dont worry im sure she will be fine - why do they have a fascination with wires?? :cry::roll:

I havent got any advice sorry - frozen carrots or something like that? I dont know sorry that might be stupid advice xx

Vet has called back and said other than give her pain relief and observe her there isnt much he can do at this stage.

I have given her some metacam and septrin and have to observe her closely at home and make her an appointment for tomorrow. Obviously if anything changes I have to take her straight in.

For now she is hopping about as normal and weeing and pooing. She hasnt eaten properly yet but I will keep trying her.

ETA- I have caged her to monitor her and she is normally free range so she is chewing the bars! Cant hurt her that much then!

Treat it like a burn, use a clean cold damp cloth on it for at least 5 minutes but don't put anything else on. Keep the rest of her warm and calm. The vet should tell you if there is anything else when you call.

:shock: eeekkk hope she will be ok, ive only had one rabbit do that, thumper my french lop when we were on holiday, nan said it was sparking through her teeth :shock: luckily she was fine

I would also wonder about providing her with a heat source, just in case she does start to go into shock. If you give something like a snugglesafe then she can move away from it if she doesn't want to be warmed.

She is hiding under the sofa at the minute but she seems ok. She has eaten some spring greens and blackcurrent leaves and is just tucking into some banana.

I cant believe she managed to get to the cable, it was behind my bedside table so she has managed to shift that out of the way then slip behind it to get at the cable!

:shock: Poor Snowdrop :(

Hope she'll be ok Rach, sending her lots of snuggles xx

Thanks. She seems alright, she is snoozing at the minute which is normal for her at this time of day.

I have to go out in a bit to take my niece home and was going to my Mums for tea so I think I will take her with me so I can keep an eye on her. She doesnt mind the car at all and has been to my Mums before so she wont be stressed.

She'll be all right Rachel. It happened to one of mine in the past :oops:. Sending lots of vibes for your little girl xxx

Back