• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunnies - how do you cope with hay?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
:wave: Im asking advice - I have 2 indoor bunnies and I have tried sooo many ways to contain hay (I dont think my hoover will hold out much longer)

How do you contain it?
I have tried a hay rack (they just pull it all out over the floor)
I have tried putting it lose in their little tray but then they wee and poo all over it so that cant be very nice?
I bought them a nice big bowl to put in their litter tray and Oreo tips it upside down immediately - sometimes trapping the hay underneath so he cant get to it

They both love their hay - which is a good thing. Sooty also drinks water from a bowl - she refuses to use a bottle and she also just covers it with hay (so she cant get to the water) and also tips the water bowl up - which i worry about as if im at work - she doesnt have any water all day?

I must just hav 2 mega destructive bun - they have plenty of things to play and chew but no they seem more interested in theior empty bowls to chuck about :roll:
Please give me ideas or am i just continously going to be sweeping and hoovering hay
Thanks

I use a hay rack on each bunnies cage and the litter trays as you do. Definately keep it in the trays as bunnies love to chew and poo, I sweep my carpets first with a sturdy hard brush to get most hay up then vacuum, some times the brush gets so much up there's no need to vac :). They also have a hay ball which dangles from the cage top.

They're not cage bunnies but if they wanna go lay out in their cage they can eat hay, their water and food is also in their cages at breakfast and tea time, so they know where to go for food and drink! :lol:

I just put it in their litter tray, hayracks didn't seem to do much good as they always pulled it out, and I know a couple of buns who have broken their legs in them.

I clear up the worst of the mess with a brush before I hoover, and I have a very understanding housemate!

I have a big cat litter tray which is really deep and covered. Filled with hay they can dig and eat in there, but I also have a shallow tray which they usually use as a toilet. They do go a bit in the covered one but it contains the hay mess really well.

I jsut pile it in their litter trays, they tend to poo and wee one end and eat from the other, try nice deep trays - i use washing up bowls.

I use under storage bed boxes as litter trays or plastic dog beds - for some reason most of the buns are quite good with their hay. That said there are few that just prefer to drag it all round the house! :roll:

We invested in a Henry hoover, as our dyson couldn't cope with it - touchwood, so far it's been ok for us :D (you watch it will bloomin pack up on me now! :shock::lol:)

I think sadly having housebuns, you have to resign yourself to the fact that you'll always have hay everywhere :roll::lol:

we have a hay rack, and whenever they tried to drag it all out i got up and put it all back in, they got fed up and thought we better eat it straight from the rack then :lol:

I have this problem earlier. It's simple. Go to garden centre, buy a very large, 24 in. diameter hard, light plastic pot base. It's about 1 in tall. That's it. Try it, it works. I have 5 around the house

I had a hay rack and the mess drove me mad (and bunny used to sit in it and poo :roll:)

I have a hanging basket which hangs from the roof of the dog crate (£1 from poundland).
She eats out of it like a bowl and because it hangs in from the middle of the roof, the hay only drops out into the cage, not the carpet. Any hay which escapes onto the carpet i try to pick up and then hoover, but yeah it fills my hoover and as it has a bag it uses up bags quickly..need a bagless one i guess?

i have mine in litter tray get new every morning but gets spot checked during the day she ends up with it around the tray but got one of those granney sweepers:lol: works realywell

I have a good hoover and just let it go all over the house! Bungle has his in a pile on his floor (lino) so it gets dragged all over the room! Strawberry has his in a big underbed storage box but he pulls it all out and again drags it all over his room and Snowdrop has hers in her crate so it does tend to stay a bit more contained that the other two! Strawbs and Snow both use bowls too so I give them two bowls if im at work and a bottle too just incase although they never drink from it!

I have a large plastic dog basket from Wilkinsons. Filled the holes in the base with sealant. Cover base with megazorb then load it up with hay, top up with fresh hay during the day and change the whole lot every morning! They love jumping in it having a good munch an go to the loo! They also have a deep dog bowl with expensive hay! The hay still manages to get dragged around the house bit like bunnyaddict I invested in a Hetty Hoover (female version of Henry!...my Dyson died too!) and a small hand held Hoover!

I have a large cat litter tray which I got from the range for about £3, quite deep and nice and sturdy. Ellie just eats in hers whereas Fudge will wee in his they get changed every morning..

I also have a pet vax hoover that so far hasn't got any of the pipes stuck with any of the hay, I tend to make more mess than them when I am filling the trays up :lol::lol:

hay served in a small basket - they pull a lot out but there's always some fresh and clean.

it gets everywhere. i have a strong brush. i've worn out four vacuum cleaners.

Hay is served in baskets and litter trays. However, just like the bunnies, their fur and poo, it ends up all over the house. I use a brush and a Dyson, but I have resigned myself to the fact that I live in a rabbit hutch/cat kennel.:lol::lol::lol:

I have the biggest Savic litter tray and put hay in one end and Wilm poos in the other. Some stray bits escape still but I just sweep them up :)

Back