• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do you think this is to soon

angelica p

Warren Scout
hi i went to the vet the other day to ask when is the soonest they can spay my rabbit. the vet there said 3 month. sounds to soon or am i wrong do you think i should go somewhere else

Sophie was spayed at 16 weeks that is the earliest my vet would do her, but if your vets is capable then I wouldn't have a problem.

I have just seen your other thread and my god, your bun is gorgeous!!

She's a conti isn't she? They are slow growers, and I would not reccomend getting her spayed at 3 months old, I think its too early for a giant breed. I think 6 months-ish is better :wave:

How big is your girl? Some vets will go on size instead of age because the most important thing is that they can see the bits they are operating on. A lot of vets will say 6 months, but that might be because they aren't very confident. Is there a particular reason why you have to get her done early? If not then anywhere between 3 months and 6 months would be suitable. I'd ask more questions to your vet about how confident they are, what sort of outcomes they have. If they lose a lot of patients then I would find another vet.

I have just seen your other thread and my god, your bun is gorgeous!!

She's a conti isn't she? They are slow growers, and I would not reccomend getting her spayed at 3 months old, I think its too early for a giant breed. I think 6 months-ish is better :wave:

thankyou.

yes she is a conti and i thought it was to young for a giant breed too

How big is your girl? Some vets will go on size instead of age because the most important thing is that they can see the bits they are operating on. A lot of vets will say 6 months, but that might be because they aren't very confident. Is there a particular reason why you have to get her done early? If not then anywhere between 3 months and 6 months would be suitable. I'd ask more questions to your vet about how confident they are, what sort of outcomes they have. If they lose a lot of patients then I would find another vet.

i just want to get it out of the way and i have had to stop her playing with her brother in the garden when we go to my mums:(

I think the youngest a rabbit can be spayed is 12 weeks/3months, so if that's the question you asked it's a valid answer. What you need to check is whether that's the age they recommend for your bunny :)

I think the youngest a rabbit can be spayed is 12 weeks/3months, so if that's the question you asked it's a valid answer. What you need to check is whether that's the age they recommend for your bunny :)

i had her with me and that was the age he said for her :)

Certainly size/weight wise she will be big enough to spay. I've heard people recommending older for a giant but I'm not sure what this is based on, presumably something relating to long term health of spaying young.

Is her brother ready for the snip yet? I would be tempted to get them both done at the same time so they can go in together if you've only separated them to prevent pregnancy.

he is going in soon that is why i asked my vet about stanley because i would like them to be done around the same time:) so we can let them play as soon as(her brother belongs to my mum they dont live together just play:D)

Last edited:
he is going in soon that is why i asked my vet about stanley because i would like them to be done around the same time:) so we can let them play as soon as(her brother belongs to my mum they dont live together just play:D)

I really wouldn't reccomend to do that... bunnies don't get along like dogs do. They are territorial, and if you take your bun over every so often to your mums, it will end in fights, there is no doubt about it. I would keep them away from each other, unless you are thinking of bonding them permanantly.

I would really think about getting your girl Stanley a friend instead, so she can be with him constantly! :D

:wave: I have to say I agree with coco on that, they may get on ok now as babies but it's not the case as adults unless they live permanently together. It is actually very stressful to them to be put together to 'play' then be separated and not recommended I'm afraid :(

First, they are unlikely to 'play' together when they reach adulthood; as Coco says, they become territorial and will feel the need to be dominant and/or fight. Putting unbonded rabbits together from time to time will be stressful and not good for them. Rabbits can and do permanently bond but only if they are allowed to stay together. Otherwise you end up back at 'square one' every time you put them together and it becomes very stressful.

Second, even supposing they do get on when together, it is most unkind to separate bonded animals - so really if they are going to be put together, they should stay together all the time. Rabbits are social creatures get very attached to their partners and will grieve and become very upset if they are separated. Ideally I would suggest that they either have a partner each, or you and your mum agree to keep them together as a pair. Most welfare associations and rescues recommend that rabbits are kept in permanent pairs as they are naturally social.

On the neutering - with a conti I think your vet is quite right that it could be done at 3 months, however personally I would wait until about 6 months to allow her to mature a little more first and make sure that her bone density is good.

Good luck!

Sorry, I didn't realise they weren't both yours. Yes, I'd recommend not separated and rejoing as that can end in fights and they don't understand that their friend will be back just that he has gone..

I really wouldn't reccomend to do that... bunnies don't get along like dogs do. They are territorial, and if you take your bun over every so often to your mums, it will end in fights, there is no doubt about it. I would keep them away from each other, unless you are thinking of bonding them permanantly.

I would really think about getting your girl Stanley a friend instead, so she can be with him constantly! :D

we are there every day

we are there every day

Sadly, some people find that their long term happily bonded pairs fall out quite significantly even after a day at the vets - which is why it is recommended that both rabbits in a pair go to the vets together :)

It sounds as if you really want to do the best by your bunny but honestly, we're not saying this for fun - introducing and separating rabbits even if it is daily is a surefire way to have two very unhappy rabbits who are likely to either fight, or grieve, or both.

As Tamsin said, they don't understand the concept of going round someone's house on a regular basis to play, they just understand that they are being removed from their own territory and being taken to someone else's territory where they must defend themselves (or, for the 'host' bun, that someone else is invading their territory).

This only settles down when they are bonded somewhere neutral (i.e. a territory that neither bun "owns") and allowed to stay together all the time. Please consider either pairing these two up permanently (and you or your mum can still visit them daily when you get together) or getting them each a permanent friend of their own and leaving them in their own permanent territories. I'm afraid you run serious risk of these two becoming very stressed indeed by the current arrangement.

i agree with the others re bonding - each of yours and your mum's buns need their own partner

Regarding neutering, the other important factor is skeletal maturity as the hormones that control sexual maturity etc also affect bone growth and density. giant breeds need to be encouraged to grow slowly to ensure good joint formation and to maximise bone density, so it would be better to get her speyed once she has hit her target adult weight. thats likely to be at least 6 months, probably older.

Back